#1 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:15 PM

Hello,
Could you please give me some advice on geting myself a mini. My Life long dream is to have one sitting on my drive that i could go and sit in and work on, and my mum and dad agree that it would be good for me to have somthing to keep me occupied.
They say they would be willing to buy me an old mini that i could restore but they say that you need a big garage and lots of expensive tools, is this true ???, i understand yeah there is a certain amount of tools that will be definitly needed but would it be possible for you to give me an insight into what would be needed as a bear mininum.

Thanks

#2 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

It all depends what your planning to do, if its just to change bits like the dashboard etc then you dont need much in the way of money, just standard tools, few sockets, screwdrivers, typical stuff you'd find in a shed! if your going to restore it and weld up rusty areas then yeah it gets more pricey as you need a welder, and it helps to be inside out of the "lovely" british weather, i'd say look around for what mini's you can see and how much work you'd be willing to do to it, but you certainly dont need a garage, it just helps really :)

#3 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:27 PM

Ok thanks keep thanks ill keep that in mind, i also forgot to menion that im only 14 ;D so alot of the things that people talk on this website can be a little daunting, but my brother is an engineer (forgot to add, sos my dad, but hes had a back operation, so not in the best state to be underneath cars, still get some decent advice from him)and i also am planning to take up mechanical engineering as my future career, so i could do the basics now, then when i learn more and more, get into the more confusing stuff.
Yeah i guess the weather would play quite a big role, especially with me being in the south east, the weather isnt that great. :)

Thanks again

Craig

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 28 November 2007 - 12:59 AM.

#4 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

Get a solid 80's mini, check the floors, usual rust areas make sure its all solid. If your brother is a mechanic then I'm sure that side of it will be sorted.

If you start having to replace body panels and floors etc it will become very expensive... not necessarily the panels but the welding/fitting/spraying if you aren't doing it yourself, even if you are there's the cost of the equipment.

Edited by yorkshirechris, 27 November 2007 - 09:30 PM.

#5 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:32 PM

Dont worry you soon pick it up :) a year ago i knew nothing about mini's, literally! about any cars for that matter, but now i know a bit about them i guess, enough to fiddle when it needs it, and im learning to weld ;D Im also in the South east so know how you feel but i guess winter will be over soon *crosses fingers* Things like replacing the front end of a mini will seem like a silly amount of work to do as in a way it is, it can go simple or it can go badly (most likely the latter) but as your young and have a genuine interest you should be able to be persistent enough to keep at it!

#6 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:32 PM

Ok thanks keep thanks ill keep that in mind, i also forgot to menion that im only 14 :cry: so alot of the things that people talk on this website can be a little daunting, but my brother is an engineer and i also am planning to take up mechanical engineering as my future career, so i could do the basics now, then when i leaqrn more and more, get into the more confusing stuff.
Yeah i guess the weather would play quite a big role, especially with me being in the south east, the weather isnt that great. :)

Thanks again

Craig

im a training to be a mechanical engineer ;D , i learnt alot of the skills of restoring cars, when i was 13-14 when i helped a guy at weekends repairing minis, learnt to weld etc very very handy, if your only 14 youve got a good few years before you can drive. find a workshop somewhere and make a proper job of a restoration. it will be worth it.

#7 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

Yeah thanks for the help and info guys,
Ill keep looking for a nice solid one for the upcoming months as chris suggested, and yup i do have a genuine interest in cars, especially minis, people say ill only give up after a few weeks, but ive been into minis scince i was about 4 and just thought of having one sitting on my drive makes me feel happy :)
Ill keep you updated on how it goes, hopefully ill have one by march, i prepared to wait.

Thanks for the help,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users