#1 Tyrant.

Tyrant.

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:12 PM

Ok peeps.
Gonna pick your brains if you wouldnt mind.

I have a 97 P reg Cooper, with Walnut dash. It has three dials behind the steering wheel, and just the one analogue clock in the centre of the dash.
I have seen some newer models of cooper have 3 + 3 dials , with in addition to the clock , there are 2 other dials either side. A voltmeter and oil pressure I think.

The questions are,
1. Can my walnut dash be drilled to allow the extra 2 dials and............
2. Are these extra 2 dials easy to set up and fit, or do they require more to get them working..

Many thanks for your help.

Rgds
Neil

#2 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:28 PM

To fit the gauges, all you need to do is make 2 52mm holes in the dash, which is quite easy if you go out and buy a 52mm circular saw drill attachment (basically a drillbit to be used as a centre-guide with a 52mm circular saw concentrically around it... should be about a fiver). This is really easy, but let the drill do the cutting, don't push down hard since you might crack the laquer a bit (never drilled one of those walnut jobbies).

As for wiring it up, a volt meter takes about 5 minutes to wire up, VERY EASY. There will be only 2 wires for the function of the gauge. connect one to any live (+12v) source (doesn't matter really if its on when the ignition is off, the voltmeter won't drain your battery), and the other using a loop connector simply screw to any hole behind the dash to ground. A third or maybe 2 wires will be used for the light bulb in the gauge which you can connect to your existing gauge so the lights turn on at the same time.
Oil pressure gauges (smiths) are mechanical so the only wires are the bulb wires. The function of the gauge is a hose and/or metal pipe going from the gauge, through the bulkhead and to the oil pressure take off on the front of the engine (driver's side, front of block, towards the top.) Currently you have a switch there with a wire coming off. This turns on the Oil Pressure light when you have low pressure. If you want to keep this light functioning even after installing the gauge, buy a oil pressure T-Piece from any mini supplier. Connect the pressure switch to one of the t connections, and to the other connect the appropriate oil pressure pipe/hose that will go to the gauge and attach to the union on the gauge. You can get this pipe complete with unions from most mini suppliers for not too much, and it's not hard to fit. Just make sure to connect it well and run the engine for a few minutes while holding the gauge to make sure that no oil leaks from the gauge (youdon't want oil squirting out behind your dash!)

Good luck!

#3 Tyrant.

Tyrant.

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:44 PM

Well as for the Oil pressure dial, Sod that for a game of soldiers.
I will stick with the original set up, and not worry about the extra dials. I will spend the money on something else.

Many thanks for your help though, after the Voltmeter instructions you gave I was ready to try, not after the Oil gauge though.

Rgds
Neil

#4 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:59 PM

Well as for the Oil pressure dial, Sod that for a game of soldiers.
I will stick with the original set up, and not worry about the extra dials. I will spend the money on something else.

Many thanks for your help though, after the Voltmeter instructions you gave I was ready to try, not after the Oil gauge though.

Rgds
Neil

The oil pressure is easier to fit than the volt to be honest. Unfortunately Pavel has made it sound complicated a wee bit. Give it a go as they look the mutts nuts :cool:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users