• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:45 PM

This is an email i just got.......

Subject: Beat rising petrol prices

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting 99.9p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1+ a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.
Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take
aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's
really simple to do!!

Now, don't whimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached
over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..
THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us
sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE
It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc.

I.e. boycott BP and Esso.

The plan may not be perfect but cheaper petrol ain't a bad idea.

#2 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

I run my car on cooking oil at 68p a litre ;D

#3 Hannioli

Hannioli

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts
  • Local Club: E.L.M.O & Essex

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:52 PM

We are hitting 99.9p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1+ a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

:wub: how old is this e-mail you got Gav!?! :P All of the petrol prices I've seen lately have been in excess of £1, cheapest being £1.03 a litre! Then again I am in central London :wub: ;D

I never buy from esso or bp anywho, so that e-mail doesn't really have any relevance for me...

#4 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

Sounds good but I've never bought petrol from BP or Esso anyway!

You can still get petrol for £1 a litre at some places in my area! ;D :wub:

Edited by Mini_Magic, 28 November 2007 - 11:55 PM.

#5 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:49 AM

Its about £1.04 in these areas. I dotn go to esso or BP ayway, Morrisons and tescos are the cheapest.

Theres a website designed so you can find the cheapest fuel in your area, just sign up for free and enter your postcode. I think its something like;

www.petrolprices.co.uk

Edit

www.petrolprices.com/

There you go.

#6 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:10 AM

problem is not just companies charging us a fortune the cost of a barrel of crude is at an all time high.

but just to annoy you i pay 3 dollars per GALLON!!!!

#7 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:24 AM

I always use BP anyway, not because i like supporting major companies but simply because from experience, the mini seems to drive nicer with it! Probably just something i think and in fact it drives the same on anything but i used to get tesco's watered down juice and now it feels more responsive!

Also its not really the oil companies that are ripping people off, its the tax on it! So its really the government that should be boycotted *thinks of possible scenarios*

#8 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:33 AM

Its about £1.04 in these areas. I dotn go to esso or BP ayway, Morrisons and tescos are the cheapest.

Urhmmm........And just who do you think delivers the petrol to those two supermarket petrol stations? Yup! you guessed it. :wub:

The "plan" in that e-mail wouldn't work for the same reason above:

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc.

I.e. boycott BP and Esso.

Apart for Shell, and JET (ConocoPhillips - third-largest US energy company) who are producers of their own fuels......the rest of the supermarket petrol supplies ALL come from mainstreame production! ;D

So the net result would be that ALL the oil companies would STILL be getting paid for their fuels.....there would be little to no diffrence in trading profits.

SS

#9 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:18 AM

problem is not just companies charging us a fortune the cost of a barrel of crude is at an all time high.

but just to annoy you i pay 3 dollars per GALLON!!!!

Pah, but that's a puny US Gallon!

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:46 AM

I was shocked to pay £1.04 at most the garages I went to on my way to and from Malvern this weekend! At first I thought I had picked up the premium pump stuff, but then looked and the premium stuff was £1.13!! ;D

Anyway, yea, as Hannaoli said, not only is this quite an old idea it wouldn't work since you'd never get enough people take part for long enough to make a difference. Plus, as Silicon pointed out, nearly all the other forecourts get their petrol from those two companies anyway!!

Besides, its the 65% tax on fuel that makes petrol so expensive!

#11 mini_lover

mini_lover

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:02 AM

I paid £1.04 just off the M5 at weekend ;D In Manchester its about £99.9 at Shell and even at Asda! Grr!

#12 minimarco

minimarco

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:17 AM

again, just buy a hybrid and do a plug in conversion.

#13 D3nch

D3nch

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Local Club: "The Boys are Back"

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Opening a Can of Worms here

I buy BP as i just find my car runs better on it than the Tesco Stuff ;D

So many people are going to hate me for saying this, and disagree, and say its all the same and makes no diffence, but I just find my 1.8 8 valve cavalier runs smoother and is more responsive on regular unleaded from BP... Not just after one tank, but after a few fill ups.

Add

Edited by D3nch, 29 November 2007 - 09:59 AM.

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:15 AM

Supermarket fuel is not the same as the stuff you get from BP, Esso and Shell.

#15 m1n1

m1n1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local Club: I'm unsociable

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:18 AM

I must say that certain fuels do smell different.. Tesco smells nasty but then bp smells similar.. even more chemicialy / worse, I get to know the different brands as the 53' landrover i drive has the filler under the drivers seat, so the cabin is a bit stinky when i fill it up. I miss 4 star...

When i got my licence in 1996 petrol was 54p a litre,, i'll be honest petrol has doubled but my wages haven't, come to think of it everything has doubled in price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users