7 replies to this topic

#1 MiniMick

MiniMick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

Credit Card Scam This one is pretty slick since they provide Y O U with all the information, except the one piece they want

Attached Files

#2 Roo

Roo

The Queen Of The Curly Wurly

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,656 posts
  • Local Club: South Central Mini Club!

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Personally i feel People are stupid if they fall for that. Especially as so much fraud is going on.

If i got a call like that I would tell them i'll talk to my Credit/debit card provider....

First off you'll find you won't be creditied back without a full investigation.

Second You don't need to provide card information especially the security code (which is only used for debits not credits) As they should have all the information not just parts of it.

Third you would need to be identified as the card holder before details given. Anyone could pretend to be you on a phone.

Forth i would request a statement to see if a transaction like that had been made first.

Ffth how would they know it was an unusual transaction? They wouldn't. Any unusual transactions would have to be flagged up by you not VISA or mastercard.

Personally I would have alarm bells ringing as soon as they mention unusal transaction, crediting to the acccount and needing card information..

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

yeah but you work for a bank and know this stuff other people dont

#4 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

I think it's Barclays who are quite good with "flagging" strange transactions automatically - like making a purchase in america one day, then back in the UK the next.

We get this all the time at work, where people have come back of their hols. All it takes mind you, is a quick call to the authorisation centre, they chat to the customer, then give us a number to type into the machines to let the transaction go through

#5 Geehawk

Geehawk

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

http://urbanlegends...._card_fraud.htm

#6 MiniMick

MiniMick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

The main reason I posted this is because recently my wife and I had our bank account emptied and we were left with a substantial overdraft. Someone had got the card details it seems from Internet shopping or phone ordering, this was the conclusion of the fraud team at Nat West because every purchase made was over the phone and no pin number was used. So all the shops that allowed the transaction to go ahead had to repay the money because they had not done any security checks (obviously if they had the person using our details wouldn’t have been able to provide them).
This was the first time in twenty five years that this had happened to us and I wouldn’t want to go through it again or see anyone else suffer, yes we got every penny back but it took a month. I'm not so sure about Nat West saying it was from Internet shopping or phone ordering for a few reasons, as it was the same weekend we went up to Carlisle shopping. A couple of people now have said they have friends that like us had been to a TKMAX and suffered the same fate? Also we filled the camper up at a service station on the way home? The first purchase on the card was made in that area too.

#7 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:55 AM

Barclays have been ok since my little "incident" at bh2n. firstly my card not letting me get money out overseas an then my card being swallowed by an ATM in the middle of germany!

Since then havent had a problem. Was in Brussells with work, got £30 out at an ATM, the next morning barclays were on the phone asking if i was abroad.

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:15 AM

i have thought about losing mrs b's credit card on purpose

who ever finds it might spend less than her

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users