#1 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts
  • Local Club: many!

Posted 05 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

i have the chance to take some photos of a friend this weekend. some arty type ones.

the only problem is.....

im lacking inspiration, whenever i go to take photos of people, they dont look as good as i personally think they should.

anyone got any tips and examples.

cheers

#2 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

i have the chance to take some photos of a friend this weekend. some arty type ones.

the only problem is.....

im lacking inspiration, whenever i go to take photos of people, they dont look as good as i personally think they should.

anyone got any tips and examples.

cheers

I think the most important thing is to be taking photos the whole time.... just snap away when the subject isn't looking at you but you think it would make a good picture! Natural poses are always best....

Also, think about going out somewhere, if it's a girl, then some of the best photos I've seen are of people laughing, with the wind blowing their hair back away from the face, totally unplanned but beautiful.

I studied Photography at College at the same time my brother was there, he took a couple of portrait shots of me that came out quite nicely for a 'serious' posed portrait. They always seem to look better in black and white, so that's also something to think about when you come to print them.

As I was only 16 here I'll stick it up as an example of posed portraiture :D

Attached File  me_16.jpg   86.35K   6 downloads

But the nicest picture I have of myself was taken by my friend's wedding photographer this year, he took it while I was preparing the buttonholes and I was totally unaware of him being there.... in fact it's the only picture I've allowed of me in the whole house :thumbsup:

#3 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:24 AM

right ok,

some stuff t think about there thankies! :thumbsup:

do you suggest taking the photos in colour and b&w them in photoshop later on? or take them in b&w

#4 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:29 AM

right ok,

some stuff t think about there thankies! :D

do you suggest taking the photos in colour and b&w them in photoshop later on? or take them in b&w

I take it you're using a digital camera?

I was taught using an old Pentax SLR and developed all my own film and photos (old fashioned eh?!) :thumbsup:

I can't see how it would make any difference these days, so I'd take them all in colour if they're digital and adapt them to suit yourself later on....

#5 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

I'd take them in colour and then edit them later. If you take them in B&W, you're limited as to what you can do.

As for places..

I've always thought it best, for portraiture at least, to have a blank background. You don't want anything to distract you from the portrait.

However, if you're planning on full body shots, think about the time of year it is as to where you can go. It's quite likely that the weather's going to the rubbish, so make sure you've got more than one place to go and that you can take some shots inside, too :thumbsup:

#6 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

Lighting is very important. I used studio lighting and it was much better than natural lighting.

I dont have any examples online at the moment of my portrait work other than one you can see on my photography portfolio.... here. Click on the "Photography Portfolio, November 2007" link and it will take you to the picture.

#7 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

I finally twigged the other day that while my digital camera is sorting itself out to take The Shot (1) and then you have to wait, even in daylight, while it gears itself up for The Next Shot (2), a papparazzi person's camera has fired off about 10 like a machine gun. That way you get a better chance of capturing that special pic.

#8 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:41 AM

right ok,

some stuff t think about there thankies! :D

I take it you're using a digital camera?

I was taught using an old Pentax SLR and developed all my own film and photos (old fashioned eh?!) :D

I can't see how it would make any difference these days, so I'd take them all in colour if they're digital and adapt them to suit yourself later on....

yeah digital camera :thumbsup:

I'd take them in colour and then edit them later. If you take them in B&W, you're limited as to what you can do.

As for places..

I've always thought it best, for portraiture at least, to have a blank background. You don't want anything to distract you from the portrait.

However, if you're planning on full body shots, think about the time of year it is as to where you can go. It's quite likely that the weather's going to the rubbish, so make sure you've got more than one place to go and that you can take some shots inside, too :thumbsup:

i reckon we can do some inside ones, as for outside shots...not a clue, havent got a clue whats around...apart from a netto :D

Lighting is very important. I used studio lighting and it was much better than natural lighting.

I dont have any examples online at the moment of my portrait work other than one you can see on my photography portfolio.... here. Click on the "Photography Portfolio, November 2007" link and it will take you to the picture.

natural lighting is the only lighting i shall be using :thumbsup: ;)

i shall have a look at the link :thumbsup:

#9 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:42 AM

nothing wrong with a good old desk lamp for lighting! :thumbsup:

#10 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:44 AM

there will be some light...its gonna be rainy so it will dark inside! :thumbsup: :D

i have got some ideas floating around my head...but as i dont know anywhere around i cant picture it in my head properly yet

#11 Timtom

Timtom

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

Make sure you don't have some dodgy shadows... And position lights so you get nice shadows! :D

Good luck really!..

But Amy.. How can you have been 16?!? (in that photo)

I wish when i was 16 i had friends looking like you!!

MUHAHAAHAHA :thumbsup: *runs away*

#12 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

i thought that timtom...but didnt say. when i was 16 all the girls looked "immature"...you dont. thats a good thing :thumbsup:

#13 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:00 AM

Definately do it in colour first as Bean said because then you can edit them later on.

Plain backgrounds are best, and make sure you have a lot of light that day.

Keep the model relaxed and give them confidence, dont let them think that you don't know what you are doing. Always have your next idea in your head so you can move on to that next, rather than pondering about it for a few minutes, this will keep the model interested and you will look more like you know what you are doing.

How old is the model? If they are a young model (like a small child) dont say ''smile'' as they will put on a huge smile that will look fake in the photographs. I worked in a photography studio, and everyday we were taking photographs of you children and sometimes pets, these were the hardest to workl with and you have to be really patient. Anyway...Similarly you dont want adults to have too much of a grin, just a simple smile looks best.
Posted Image

You can do serious looking photographs but you have to be careful with these as they can sometimes look really silly, you have to get them just right. It depends on the situation and look you want from the photograph. Take them anyway and have a look at them after to see what they look like, if they look rubbish you dont have to use them. For example this one is a serious photograph that I took of my model. this suits it well as this is her character.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Hope that helps.
Good luck! Enjoy it, its fun :thumbsup:

Raz xxx

#14 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

the "model" is a 17 year old girl :thumbsup:

#15 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:04 AM

the "model" is a 17 year old girl :thumbsup:

Good, then it shouldn't be too difficult. Keep her relaxed (and warm if your doing it outside) and happy snapping :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users