roycropper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Local Club: bogmog to be..

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

hi people
if anyone live around the north east this is a great powder coating place, its called teesdale power coating they are cheap and do a really good job. They also do it within days they will do any colour of you choice . plus they will do wheels doors ect anything, they also do radiotors and they will make u a custom one to suit your mini its well worth the phone call
the number is 01642 612642 & 01642 612564

GET CALLING !!!

Edited by roycropper, 05 December 2007 - 05:57 PM.

#2 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

its powder coating by the way...

:thumbsup:

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

..and it's rubbish. Powder coat is a terrible finish, never lasts and is unrepairable.

#4 Matt

Matt

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,703 posts
  • Local Club: The mini forum - i live here

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

well some people use powder coating quite succesfully so i wouldnt dimiss it entirely... but its only used in acertain areas.. like wheels.

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

Wheels would be terible powder coated, they get a lot of stone chips, kerb damage, tyre monkey damage etc. Factory wheels on a lot bikes have been powder coated for years, a friend of mine makes a lot of money stripping them for bikers and painting them in 2-pack which actually lasts. A lot of the gear I use at work is powder coated, I hate constantly finding big flakes of it lying about in the truck. Anything plated or painted lasts longer.

#6 roycropper

roycropper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

Wheels would be terible powder coated, they get a lot of stone chips, kerb damage, tyre monkey damage etc. Factory wheels on a lot bikes have been powder coated for years, a friend of mine makes a lot of money stripping them for bikers and painting them in 2-pack which actually lasts. A lot of the gear I use at work is powder coated, I hate constantly finding big flakes of it lying about in the truck. Anything plated or painted lasts longer.

nah i dont think so all types of paint chips, i had my sub frames done in purple and they look better powder coated, plus its far quicker to do , and yes u can repair it they just put another layer of powder on, i had a karting frame done in powder and that was doing about 80mph plus on the track and never flaked off and u no how low they are, and if u look into things u will find that all karting bits and done in powder because it will out last paint be a long long way :thumbsup:
lets make a vote on what people think

#7 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

I agree with Dan. If it chips, it will peel and moisture gets underneath, causing corrison. 2K is a far more hardy coating for things like wheels etc.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

I agree with Dan and BPP, we use powder coating at work and it really isn't that great. Not suitable for use in any situation where the paint can get chipped, or exposed to moisture. As the name suggests the finish doesn't adhere to the surface like paint does, once moisture gets under the finish it just chips and flakes off, sometimes in large areas. Just sticking another coat over the top is fine enough, but the new layer won't adhere to the last coat, so both coats will just begin to flake off. Plus, to recoat something you need to stick it through the oven to bake the coating, which means, if its something like a subframe, or a wheel, taking it off the car and taking off anything thats attached.

On the flip side, if the coating doesn't flake off, but the item needs re-coating its a PITA to take the old stuff off. You basically need to heat the coating up to melt it off, which might lead to damaging whatever is coated (soft, thin metal, etc).

#9 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Well I dissagree! ;D

I agree 2k llooks better, but theyre is alot of prep involved.

But I have tons of brackets and parts powdercoated and they look great and the finish is very tough.

We have loads of wheels blasted and powdercoated too and they always look great and it always stops on when they put the tyres back on with the tyre machine.. where as 2k regulary comes off..

And Jammy, most powdercoaters have blasting facilities which will fetch the powdercoating off no problem. I also had a front subframe blasted and coated with all the suspension components attached and its fine.

Unless the powdercoaters I use, use different stuff because theyre industrial powder coaters?

Edited by jack_marshall, 07 December 2007 - 09:01 PM.

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

That's a good point about the prep, it can be a pain, especially on multi spoke wheels. But hey that's what apprentices are for ;D

But if you were to get em sand blasted and then use wet on wet primer.. although the finish is never as smooth.

It would be interesting to get a set of wheels done is 2K and a set in powder coat and see which lasts best.

#11 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:07 PM

If we paint spoked wheels in 2k, we have them blasted, DA them smooth as we can, a few steady coats of filtered primer, then straight on with the paint.

Flatting the primer and then painting them does look better, but the time involved and its just bloody boring!

I put money on powdercoated wheels lasting longer! (Well the powder coaters we use!)

#12 roycropper

roycropper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

If we paint spoked wheels in 2k, we have them blasted, DA them smooth as we can, a few steady coats of filtered primer, then straight on with the paint.

Flatting the primer and then painting them does look better, but the time involved and its just bloody boring!

I put money on powdercoated wheels lasting longer! (Well the powder coaters we use!)

at last someone not putting powder down! i had me subframe done in purple and u could not get a better finish even if u painted them. the lad who i no there is really good and he can do matalic colours aswell i have had my wheels done they look great and no chips of anything get ;D

#13 minirsp

minirsp

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Local Club: None at the mo

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:59 PM

Hi Roy, Where is this palce in the north east and how much was it to get front subby done

Thanks Darren

#14 roycropper

roycropper

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:00 AM

Hi Roy, Where is this palce in the north east and how much was it to get front subby done

Thanks Darren

its at bonley industrial est in thoranby they are really good they charged me 150 to do a sub and rear beam axle + radius arms + hubs + more , i dont no off the top of my head but i will ring the owner how i no and get u a price and what colour are u looking to have it in

by the way a friend made this account 4 me and put my name as roy cropper dont ask why but its craig! pm me your mobile number and i will get u a price tomorrow and ring u
thanks craig

#15 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: NorthSomersetMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

powder coating is perfect for:

engine parts that have low heat levels
subframes
wheels
roll cage

its alot more durable than msot people think, why do you think alot of bike frames are done like that?

ive got alot of fantastic finishes from powder coating!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users