#1 Reena

Reena

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

Hi There,

I got an all black mini one d. black roof, black body.

I want to have the body resprayed yellow and then have 2 black stripes put on the front. (keeping the black roof!) So it looks like this!

http://www.bmwcca.or...es/mini-050.jpg

Does anyone one know roughly how much something like this would cost? Should I go to an approved mini dealer? No doubt they would be expensive. I live in north london. Maybe someone could recommend a place to go to get this done?

I so love that yello colour on a mini! looks hot!

Thanks,

Attached Files

#2 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,140 posts
  • Local Club: TMF South Central

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

Depends on the age (thinking of warranty), if it's not in warranty any more you should ba able to take it to any sprayers. Will set you back a fair few thousand though, there is alot of preparation to do stripping the car to be painted, more so on a new car than old one.

You might find it's cheaper to sell your black Mini and buy a yellow one ;D lol

Best way to find out is to get some quotes I'm afraid! That yellow does look gawjus though :thumbsup:

#3 Reena

Reena

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

Depends on the age (thinking of warranty), if it's not in warranty any more you should ba able to take it to any sprayers. Will set you back a fair few thousand though, there is alot of preparation to do stripping the car to be painted, more so on a new car than old one.

You might find it's cheaper to sell your black Mini and buy a yellow one ;D lol

Best way to find out is to get some quotes I'm afraid! That yellow does look gawjus though :thumbsup:

REALLY!!! Bloody hell! can't afford that! ok. well forget colouring it yellow then. what else could i do to the outside? do you think it would look ugly with just yellow stripes on the bonnet?

or how about yellow viper stripes?

or how much do you reckon it would be for a black and white chequered roof and stripes?

The car is 53 reg and not under warranty anymore.

Cheers,

#4 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:37 PM

Oooooooh black with yellow stripes and yellow roof :thumbsup: :dontgetit:

It looks good in my head anyway! If you go in the Digital Mini section you could put up a photo of your car and that photo above and ask someone to give you yellow stripes and roof using Photoshop to see how it looks :dontgetit:

That'd be the sex! :xxx:

I *think* you can buy chequer decals for the Mini - check on eBay, they don't cost much but you might want a hand fixing it on. I know you can get them for old ones, pretty sure you can get bini ones too ;D

#5 minili

minili

Awesome and Flattering

• Members
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:42 PM

Also you might find that more people will be knowledgeable about resprays for new Minis on the Mini2 forum - which is dedicated to BMW Minis ;D

I might be completely wrong about the respray, I know that a repsray on a classic can cost anything from £1-3000 so guessing newer, bigger car means bigger price lol

#6 Reena

Reena

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:57 PM

Also you might find that more people will be knowledgeable about resprays for new Minis on the Mini2 forum - which is dedicated to BMW Minis ;D

I might be completely wrong about the respray, I know that a repsray on a classic can cost anything from £1-3000 so guessing newer, bigger car means bigger price lol

aah thank you.. i didnt know about the other forum!

cheers! i also have photohop, so will be edeiting the pics.

cheers,again!

#7 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:02 PM

I dont mean to sound negative, but depends on how much work they have to do before they can get to prepping the existing paintwork, they would have to strip off all the body trim, lights, grilles, chrome trim, door handles etc. they probably wont bother painting under the bonnet unless you give them another £600 or so, and they dont usually paint the door shuts unless you specify (which costs more still). going on a couple of recent estimates (ok they're not on minis, but new suzuki swifts, which are similar size), you would be looking at a few grand for a decent job, and most of that money you spend will be just labour, so taking bits of trim off, prepping the panels to their standard (which is what makes a good paint job) can save you loads.
I have to agree with what minili said, it would be cheaper, quicker and easier to trade it in for one thats already yellow, BINIs hold their value well so you could possibly go for a slightly newer model or one with a better spec. also you wont affect the resale value if you decide to sell it on at a later date.

#8 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:43 PM

You could try MINIPirate.com for Mini decals.
http://www.minipirate.com/shop.htm
For an all black MINI or Mini easiest to do with graphics decals is probably a chequered roof (white squares) for a black car, or white bonnet stripes or even Viper stripes. You can also get them in silver which looks pretty good with a blackcar.

#9 Reena

Reena

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

You could try MINIPirate.com for Mini decals.
http://www.minipirate.com/shop.htm
For an all black MINI or Mini easiest to do with graphics decals is probably a chequered roof (white squares) for a black car, or white bonnet stripes or even Viper stripes. You can also get them in silver which looks pretty good with a blackcar.

yeah i think thats what i'll do - silver stripes all over. (i'm thinking a spolier will make it look nicer though).

i dont think just white stripes on a bonnet of an all black car looks nice thouhg, i saw one recently and it just looked odd.

i do also like the chequered roof and bonnet stripes.

very nice. 2 different looks. one is loud and the other is more subtle i think. hhmmm decision!

#10 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:58 AM

Moved to Paint section.

#11 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

A full colour change respray is going to be very expensive, you're looking at 2 grand plus, as you would have to remove the doors, bonnet, and all the trim that covers any painted surfaces, which leads to clips and things breaking, requiring new ones to be bought, which all adds to the cost.
Plus remember it will affect the value of the car, as it will no longer be original, a respray cannot be reversed. It would be much easier to sell your mini and buy a yellow one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users