1 reply to this topic

#1 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 11:20 PM

Whats the best way to run my new turbo in? its going to be a +040 rebore with new pistons and rings. Shall i leave off the boost to just 3psi at all times?

Plus, hows the best way to go running it in ?

#2 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:53 PM

Use some basic 20/50 mineral oil. Drive the car quite gently for the first 100miles or so just to let everything settle in. You don't want to labour the engine, but don't rev it to hard.
Don't just go and sit on the motorway and do loads of miles, the piston rings will not bed in properly. The engine needs to have varying loads on it, so you want to be going on some nice country roads where you're on and off the throttle, using the gearbox and working the engine nicely. If the rings don't bed in properly the bores will glaze and your engine will be an oil burner.
After the 1st 100miles you can start to use a little more throttle say 3,500rpm, 200miles 4,000rpm, 300miles 4,500 rpm, 400miles 5,000rpm after about 500 miles you should be able to give it full throttle.
This is what i did anyway and i've had no problems with my engine. Try and keep the engine from boosting hard at least to begin with anyway. Remember to change the oil & filter after the 1st 100miles and again at 500 miles.

Phil. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users