#1 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:31 AM

Hey guys,

Sorry it's non mini, but on my other car the aircon compressor is screwed and is sqweaking like a pig, even aircon off, so only way to drive is to cut the belt, so that means the power steering pumps wont be driven either.

My question is: is there any particular issue with driving a power steered car with the pump not running, beside having a heavier steering? I just need to drive it 6miles to office tomorrow and drop it at the workshop (its a company car).

#2 redhotmini

redhotmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

it will be fine to drive, but the steering will be incredibly heavy. better to drive with a sqealing aircon pump and working power steering, and just turn the stereo up to drown out the noise. sounds like the aircon pump needs replacing anyway, so 6 miles isnt going to make it any difference.

#3 Xiao_Bin

Xiao_Bin

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:33 PM

well its not just squealing, i think the electromagnetic clutch has welded itself to the pump, and it was smoking badly when i opened the bonnet.
I tried driving around, it pretty impossible to turn quickly at low speed and veeeeeery heavy at medium, but i'll be able to drive to the workshop, its straight all the way

my boss is going to hate me, every month something else break on that car :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users