Photo

Something Weirds Happening To My Paint...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

Right When i got my car - i knew the spray job as done on the cheap. It wasn't perfect concours quality but didn't look bad at all. There weren't many imperfections either.

Anyway a few months after i started getting very very tiny specs on the bonnet. You could barely feel them with your finger. I thought i'd polish out - thinking it was water marks - they weren't. Now a couple of months after that the specs have got bigger, you can feel them with your finger now - they're getting more like blobs and are very visible. I tryed picking at them the other day and one of the specs actually chipped off with my nail, revealing the primer or metal underneath (can't tell which)

I thought the bonnet must have been one that had been sitting in a garden or something before being sprayed and have began to rust - and wasn't propertly prepped - but now i'm not so sure. It doesn't look like rust at all!

Now these specs have spread to pretty much the whole bonnet and i can see some very tiny specs starting to come through on the wing and at the back of the roof!

WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY! They're taking over my car!

I'v tryed taking pic - didn't come out too well but you can make out the specs - if you look on the other half of the bonnet - after the ridge you can see the specs clearly. Thats the state they are in now.

I'll be getting a fibreglass bonnet soon anyway so the bonnet isn't too much of a problem. But i think the problem is going to happen on the wing an roof! Which is what my consern is!

So what do pweople reckon this is? Anybody seen it before? What causes it - bad prep, rust...?

Posted Image

#2 miRon

miRon

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:28 PM

wasnt cleaned properly would be my opinion,some sort of reaction....perhaps..

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,439 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

Chicken Pox?

#4 miRon

miRon

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts
  • Local Club: SMAG

Posted 12 December 2007 - 02:37 PM

:shifty: :)

#5 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:38 PM

lol

Yeah my uncle said that it sounded like it hadn't been cleaned properly...

It depends how truthful the previous owner was being when he said that the car was resprayed in august last year - 2006.

So for something like a reaction to just come out of the blue 14 months later is strange. If it is a reaction then the car must have resprayed much later than that...

#6 Nickh_16

Nickh_16

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Local Club: Pembs

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

i've heared my dad say about micro blistering taking place if the car wasn't sprayed in the right temperature, could be that :shifty:

#7 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 06:23 PM

Looks like micro blistering to me.

Means there could have been water coming through the compressor that fed the spray gun, or the car was damp before being painted.

They may flat and polish away but they will keep coming back.

#8 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

Looks like micro blistering to me.

Means there could have been water coming through the compressor that fed the spray gun, or the car was damp before being painted.

They may flat and polish away but they will keep coming back.

So basically the only way to get rid of them is to get the effected areas resprayed?

#9 mike.

mike.

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:48 PM

oh and also - how far does this micro blistering go? How big will these specs get?

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:55 AM

Yup, micro blistering. It's caused by moisture under the paint, as primer is porous, if it's kept in a damp environment prior to painting, it will soak up moisture, which when painted over will try and escape over time. would need to be flatted down and re-painted I'm afraid.

#11 Davis

Davis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Local Club: Midlands

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

mini pox.

#12 Joef

Joef

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:37 PM

Looks like the stuff you get from parking under trees...

#13 KJM

KJM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

Looks like the stuff you get from parking under trees...

Yeah, thats what i was thinking!! Maybe the tree sap has stuck to the paint which when picked off pulls the top layer off? Unlikely tho, i think its as the others said above...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users