#1 littlebluemonster2

littlebluemonster2

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:59 AM

Hi Guys, >_<

For the MOT next year my mini needs the rear drivers subframe mounting to the floor doing. the floor has corroded through and needs replacing.
I originally bought a repair panel for the boot area in question, but after looking more closely i discovered the rear end of the floor also needs doing.
Was thinking of replacing the complete floor with heritage panel but have been looking on few restoration sites which show people saying that this floor area where the subframe bolts through needs to be 3 or 4 skins thick?
is this the case and can anyone tell me if the heritage panel is re-enforced in this area cause if not may as well buy repair panels and do it myself!!
Has anyone replaced the floor section in question and have any detailed photos that would help me?
cheers
chris

[attachment=45650:DSCF0032.JPG]

Edited by littlebluemonster2, 16 December 2007 - 01:00 AM.

#2 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

it doesnt need to be 3/4 skins thick it just needs to be reinforced enought. just buy the proper repair panels and it will be fine.

#3 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

The only repair panels I know of are designed to be welded over the top of the existing panel, which is fine if you just want to cover up the mess but won’t cure the problem.

I’ve done that repair on my 25 and from memory there are 2 load-spreading peaces one of which forms the back part of the valance-closing panel, the boot floor and then the little arch to boot floor mount, so quite a thickness of metal.

So to do it properly the stubby at least needs to be removed which might highlight more problems.

If you’re not sure take a look at the 25’s project link toward the end.

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

if its a heritage panel it will be right :thumbsup:

#5 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:22 PM

The only repair panels I know of are designed to be welded over the top of the existing panel, which is fine if you just want to cover up the mess but won't cure the problem.

I've done that repair on my 25 and from memory there are 2 load-spreading peaces one of which forms the back part of the valance-closing panel, the boot floor and then the little arch to boot floor mount, so quite a thickness of metal.

So to do it properly the stubby at least needs to be removed which might highlight more problems.

If you're not sure take a look at the 25's project link toward the end.

Weld over the top!?!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users