#1 t@z

t@z

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: www.turbominis.co.uk

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:57 PM

hello, when fitting a T dizzy whats the rough degrees tha i should set it to and should to be the degress before of after TDC (Top Dead Centre)????

#2 matt king

matt king

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:59 PM

Could do with a basic guide on how to fit a dizzy.

Eg. what to set the dizzy up with on the block are there any marks on the block and dizzy case?

Are there any easy ways to see when the engine is at TDC? short of hainv to remove stuff to see the marking on the pullye. As dont want to get dizzy timing out 180.

Any other tips such as a basic wiring diagram or pics. As alot of the wires have been replaced and alot are red which is nice! :rolleyes:

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:07 PM

If you look in any manual there will be a guide on how to set up the static timing ( ie the initial setting for the dizzy ) and in the specs will give the static timing for the particular vehicle.

#4 matt king

matt king

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:28 PM

I dont have any books till the weekend and i was just trying to get any ideas before hand. so i know what im letting myself in for.

#5 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:14 PM

7 degrees BTDC is standard metro setting. Though if your engines modified, lower compression, bigger cam etc you'll probably find it needs a fair bit more to pull well low down.
What you really want to worry about is the total advance the dizzy gives. Rev the engine to 5,000rpm and set the dizzy to 28 degrees. This SHOULD be a fairly safe setting to begin with.

Phil. :rolleyes:

#6 matt king

matt king

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 09:02 PM

Ok cheers thats what i wanted to know. i guessing u retard the ignition to stop pre detination to 28 degrees BTDC. Dont mean to sound stupid but what point on the dizzy do we use to mark as 0?

Also the engine has been moved in gear, is there an easy to tell is the engine is 180 out or will the shaft on the dizzy only fit in one way?

Sorry to ask stupid questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users