samwell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Local Club: SC Spammers

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:12 PM

Evening Ladies & Gents,

Just been out trying to get the manifold changed over from the pervious one which was leaking from around the brake servo take off. I already had a manifold from a hiff44 which i thought would tide me over (used with my hs4) until i could properly sort it.

2 Issues came up whilst i was doing this.
Firstly, as i was unable to reuse the take-off, i have used the one built into the manifold with some 10mm rubber hosing between the manifold and plastic hose already there. Here is a pic, the question is, is the vacuum an issue in terms of making the pipe collapse or are we not taking about that much force?
Attached File  Image016.jpg   178.46K   15 downloads
Also, i cannot for the life of me get to the middle nuts on the manifold, cannot even get a single turn on them and then get the spanner out, it just isnt possible as far as i can see. Can you please help? Please don't tell me i have to grind away at the manifold.
Attached File  Image015.jpg   240.06K   12 downloads
thanks for your time

Sam

Edited by samwell, 18 December 2007 - 11:14 PM.

#2 Kerrin

Kerrin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Local Club: Manx Mini Register

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:26 PM

You can buy proper Vacuum Hose that does not collapse, BUT did you try taking out the pipe ftting from the manifold and bolting in the standard banjo, the thread may be the same.

Try using a socket and flexi extension from behind and underneath the carb to get to the nuts or a ratchet spanner. but it depends how thick the manifold cast is

#3 samwell

samwell

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

that's a good idea, been meaning to get one of those, if only i could drive to halfords ><

what sort of torque can you put through those, will it be enough to tighten the nuts?

#4 rozzer!

rozzer!

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:37 PM

that's a good idea, been meaning to get one of those, if only i could drive to halfords ><

what sort of torque can you put through those, will it be enough to tighten the nuts?

take the carb off completelly! with a swan neck spanner you should just be able to get in there!

#5 Kerrin

Kerrin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Local Club: Manx Mini Register

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:40 PM

I dont have torque figures to hand but I only nip them up. You may just get away with a good ratchet spanner.

get them done up most of the way with the socket/ratchet then you may get more space to get a turn on the a normal spanner. Or get your arm in under the LCB.

Its a bit of trial and error unfortunately.

Also make sure the manifolds are the same thickness or the nuts will not hold the centre pipe of the LCB tight to the head.

From the photo's it looks ok though

#6 samwell

samwell

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

take the carb off completelly! with a swan neck spanner you should just be able to get in there!

a) the carb isn't really in the way, just annoying. Its the lower/inner edge of the fanimold thats stopping me getting a spanner/socket onto it.
b) what the hell is a swan neck spanner?

#7 blue redtop

blue redtop

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:38 AM

i had no probs at all fitting mine.i used a short ish extension and a 1/2 inch socket and ratchet.
go from under the manifold.

#8 samwell

samwell

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:05 PM

i had no probs at all fitting mine.i used a short ish extension and a 1/2 inch socket and ratchet.
go from under the manifold.

was it this one as i don't think there is aneough clearance but i'm just about to give it a go, simon at minispares has advised grinding down a spanner as a last resort

wish me luck

sam

#9 samwell

samwell

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:16 PM

:D got fanimold nice and tightly on, managed to get a socket in through the back, just a right pain and a few bruised knuckles.

:thumbsdown: (i know there ain't on) headgasket has blown and the car will barely start :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users