7 replies to this topic

#1 Hot MPI

Hot MPI

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:02 PM

Ha Ha, my plan is coming together. Just received my front subframe this morning. I will be dropping a Vtec engine into my 1275 GT. This may be quite a slow process due to a distinct lack of funds at the mo, but hopefully it should be on the road in time for summer, even if it means that I have to sell the MPI to do so. I've had the GT for a couple of years now, but it was running a stg1 MG Metro engine. It's a solid enough basis, if not the tidiest (is that a word?). It's currently resplendant in Sandglow, and this will be remaining. It already has Spax dampers fitted (it's only done about 2000 miles on these so far) and 12" minilights. As already stated the frame came this morning, I already have neg camber bottom arms and uprated tie bars. I have an Emerald ECU which I had planned to adapt to fit the MPI, but this will now be diverted to the GT Vtec (the MPI is getting a piggyback ECU fitted on Monday). I also have a few other bits 'n' bobs towards the project, so really the only things to get are the engine/box, fuel tank and the driveshafts need to be made. I will try to get some pictures posted soon, but the GT is currently in storage and I don't have access to it for a couple of weeks. I will then be relocating it a little closer to home!

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

Do you still have the original GT engine?!

#3 Hot MPI

Hot MPI

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 01:21 PM

I still have the original GT engine, but it is siezed. A catastrophic loss of oil pressure occured at some point above 5000 rpm (GT rev counters are very vague). I kept it because of the close ratio 'box, but I never got around to stripping it. It was just easier at the time to dump the MG unit in, as I needed the car on the road for my daily commute (96 miles each way!). It was a great shame as it seemed like a good engine up until that point.

#4 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:36 PM

Thats ok, as long as there is the possiblity to be able to take back to its originality, it would of been a shame to of lost another GT!

#5 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 18 March 2005 - 04:13 PM

Excellent
I like a good project

#6 Hot MPI

Hot MPI

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:42 PM

Fair point Jammy, I still have all of the original parts for the car, including the boomerang steering wheel and the rather fetching 'deck chair' seats! Because of the frame that I have got, I can retain the 12" wheels and standard Mini suspension so it should be a simple matter of swapping the subframe back if I ever want to revert to original spec. I will have to cut the inner wings about a bit to get the Vtec in, but as they are pretty rough anyway, I have no worries about this. Besides, I have a load of NOS pannels for the Clubman, including inner wings. My Mum had a '72 GT about 16 years ago. She bought a lot of parts for it which she never got rid of, until she gave them to me :rolleyes:) NO, I will not sell any. THEY'RE MINE I TELL YOU, MINE!!!!

#7 Hot MPI

Hot MPI

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 06:29 PM

If anyone is interested in doing this conversion, here is a link to the guy I purchased the subframe from;

http://search.ebay.c...sZboomboomQ5frn

He is located in Canada, but I received my frame in JUST 2 DAYS!! Now that's fast! You will notice that the frame is also cheaper than other frames availible here in the UK, but the best part is that you keep the standard track and Mini suspension components. I found him very courtious and helpful and would recommend him to anyone who wants to go the Vtec route.

Sorry about that, but I'm a little over excited at the moment :rolleyes:) I can't wait to get stuck in.

#8 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 08:08 PM

I would like to do that,
but at the moment insurance would kill me
so i guess ill have to wait a few decades

good luck with the build though
and keep us updated with photos