50 replies to this topic

#1 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

hi i am after wiring up a television into my car and a playstation 2 (fat type) i would like to know how you get the music to come throu the speakers in the car

the screen i am after using
http://www.argos.co....s...amp;x=0&y=0
(dont ask me why i want a 15" hd lol just have to keep everything big)

this is the playstation
http://www.tradebit..../ps2-repair.jpg

and my head unit is pioneer it has got to ports on the back one red one white but they go to my amplifier
and would like to keep the sub workin whilst watchin a film on the ps2

any help would be much appreciated thank you

i uploaded a pic of my radio

Attached Files

#2 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Local Club: NorthSomersetMiniClub.co.uk

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:10 PM

where on earth are you putign a 15 inch tv in a mini lol :S

#3 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:12 PM

lol, i thought the same :D

#4 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

This sounds like a little bit of a "Pimp my Ride" Job to Me !!! :D

#5 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:18 PM

its going in a secret place lol you tell me how to do it i will take pictures of my progress
trust me lol
it might turn into the next big thing for ice in minis

any one know how to do it?

#6 Southy

Southy

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: Oldham and Distrcit Mini Club

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:06 AM

Im not a full expert on this so if i am wrong anybody please feel free to correct me.....I believe you need a headunit capable of having an Aux IN socket on the back, that way you can connect the red and white Aux wire's that comes off your PS2 into these and the yellow cable for the picture into the TV (where ever your gonna mount it :S lol.) via the discounnectable scart socket which comes when you buy your PS2

When you are using your PS2 you will switch your headunit over to Aux 1 (or whichever socket its plugged into) and the sound will now be played through your car system

Hope this helps :D

#7 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

Im not a full expert on this so if i am wrong anybody please feel free to correct me.....I believe you need a headunit capable of having an Aux IN socket on the back, that way you can connect the red and white Aux wire's that comes off your PS2 into these and the yellow cable for the picture into the TV (where ever your gonna mount it :S lol.) via the discounnectable scart socket which comes when you buy your PS2

When you are using your PS2 you will switch your headunit over to Aux 1 (or whichever socket its plugged into) and the sound will now be played through your car system

Hope this helps :D

Correct

You need to have a headunit with either:
a aux in 2.5mm socket (headphone jack) a adapter will be required for this option
a set of aux in RCA Connectors,

as said above the audio connections coming from the PS2 (red and black) will go into the connection on the head unit and the remaining connector (yellow) witch is picture one goes to the TV's input, probably will need to use the scart adapter unless the tv has RCA inputs, witch very few do.

hope that clears everything up

if you need a link to the adapter i mentioned above just shout up and i will find you one.

:D

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

Personally I'd use a smaller screen that would look more at home in a Mini, and also be easier to find somewhere to install/hide it.

#9 mike998

mike998

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:27 AM

as above you can do it with the aux in, but you dont need to if your HU doesnt have an aux. there is another way which will take a lot more time and effort and you will need the front speakers amped.
you would use the same idea of running the RCA's from the scart but instead of going to the head unit it will go to a spliter so that you will have 2 RCA's connected to one (hope your following so far),
then one of the RCA cables go to the amp for the sub and the other to the amp for the speakers. TADA sound from the tv coming through the speakers but you will have no volume control except from the tv itself.
you would have to mute the head unit when using the tv though but in theory it should work.

#10 dave20046

dave20046

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:34 AM

I was going to do this (but with like a 10" telly) and put an extra shelf in the passengers footwell like on late minis to hold the bulky components (either a computer or ps2 or dvd player) and wire it into my headunit. But to be honest it was going to cost too much and would make the car really nickable. So I'm probably going to get one of those headunits with a tft on it.

#11 M44K TS

M44K TS

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:27 PM

Do you know how you'll be wiring in the power for the ps2?

Just i was going to do something similar, and found that you can convert the ps2 to 12v direct or you can hardwire an inverter.

If you decide on the latter, i have a spare inverter for the ps2 that i bought and probably never use.

#12 insamoufonyx

insamoufonyx

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:51 PM

inverters allways the better idea, means you dont just have to use it in the car :D

#13 redhotmini

redhotmini

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:41 PM

inverters allways the better idea, means you dont just have to use it in the car :-

and it means you dont run the risk of blowing the PS2 because of a voltage surge, as generally car electrics run at around 13.8 volts. Just remember that with a power inverter, either have a high capacity battery (like an optima yellow top) or keep the engine running, as they do tend to run batteries flat quite quickly.

#14 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:28 PM

well i would like to keep the two ports on the back of my radio so that i can keep my amp powered and keep bass
so i would like to use the head phone jack on the front anyone know where to get one as mentioned

#15 redhotmini

redhotmini

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

what you need to use is the standard tv cable that comes with the PS2, should have 3 plugs on it, a red, a white and a yellow plug. yellow goes to your TV. the red and white, are the two audio leads. if you google maplin electronics, and search on their site for phono (or RCA) to 3.5mm jack adaptor, then thats all you'll need. make sure the adaptor has female phono/RCA plugs on it though, otherwise the PS2 lead wont fit.
that way, you can remove the ps2 really easily if you need to. it would look a bit messy with cables hanging around, but it will do the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users