Photo
- - - - -

Centerline Distance Between Engine And Diff?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rdchaplin

rdchaplin

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

I am in the US. I have a nice 62 Mk1 that a chap in California grafted a Formula Ford front suspension and rear frame to the Mini tub. He designed it for a rotary and Hewland gearbox. I bought from its third owner as a roller. I have a 2007 Yamaha R1 engine I am installing. What I'd like to know is what the distance is between the gearbox output shaft/sprocket centerline and the differential sprocket centerline on the Z Cars kit? I seem to be able to get about 10 inches between them; I know the shorter the distance the more the chain wear will be. Since my cars suspension was designed around a Formula Ford I will be using a 22.6 inch diameter rear tire, is that similar to what you would use on a Z Car and if so what output and differential sprocket tooth counts do you typically use? Are most of the rear sprockets in the neighborhood of 10 inch diameter?

Regards, Doug

Attached Files

#2 scrapveiw

scrapveiw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:31 AM

I am in the US. I have a nice 62 Mk1 that a chap in California grafted a Formula Ford front suspension and rear frame to the Mini tub. He designed it for a rotary and Hewland gearbox. I bought from its third owner as a roller. I have a 2007 Yamaha R1 engine I am installing. What I'd like to know is what the distance is between the gearbox output shaft/sprocket centerline and the differential sprocket centerline on the Z Cars kit? I seem to be able to get about 10 inches between them; I know the shorter the distance the more the chain wear will be. Since my cars suspension was designed around a Formula Ford I will be using a 22.6 inch diameter rear tire, is that similar to what you would use on a Z Car and if so what output and differential sprocket tooth counts do you typically use? Are most of the rear sprockets in the neighborhood of 10 inch diameter?

Regards, Doug

i am building a rear engined mini, i have set my diff as close to the engine as i can get it but leaving enough room to get a bigger sprocket in if i need to(46 teeth),

the greater the distance between the diff and output shaft the less room you will have up front for your seating unless you intend to run your shafts at a strange angle.

there are plenty of pics on here of drive trains , the z car diffs bolt virtualy to the back of the engine .hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users