10 replies to this topic

#1 langers2k

langers2k

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

I think all my right hand suspension has collapsed, I don't know much about the damage etc yet.

I do know that both my right hand wheels are touching the wheel metal bodywork and that my front right shock is not connected to the hub. I will be jacking the car tomorrow so I can investigate and see what has actually gone.

The guy who picked me up said that the rear touching the bodywork was caused by the front collapsing. I am not so sure, what do you guys think?

I should be able to get pics up tomorrow, but at the moment I am thinking of getting 4 new cones and 4 new shocks (my suspension was silly hard anyway)...

If anyone is around Barnsley and is free any-time some, your help would be much appreciated! As would anyone with a cone compressor.

If you can think of anything I should be checking once it is jacked up, please let me know! I need to get it back on the road asap!

#2 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

could be the knuckes have collapsed through the plastic cup scoupled with saggy donuts. jack it up and takes some pics. i am doing this at the moment with mine. new shocks.donuts and hilo's all round.

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:10 AM

as above some pictures will help us see whats wrong

#4 langers2k

langers2k

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

Right, I have attached a couple of pics (i hope!) but I know what is wrong now.

The top ball joint has sheared. As a result the shock has slid off the top arm. Everything looks straight and nothing else looks broken.

Little bit worried that my shock managed to slide off the top arm, I think its because whoever fitted them have used the wrong sized washer? Should the washer be big enough to cover the black centre or all of the shock mount?

I am having difficulty trying to get the remains off the top ball joint off, any tips? I am now trying to take the hub off so I can use a vice, but I haven't got a ball joint splitter and the bottom one doesn't want to play!

I am going to replace both ball joints and maybe bigger washers on the shock. Is there anything else that I should be checking? I was coming to a stop in a petrol station when it happened so there hopefully isn't any other damage...

Attached Files

#5 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

Mite be an idea to replace that knuckle joint while your at it seen as the rubber cover on it is about knackered.

#6 langers2k

langers2k

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

Yeah I will do that another day...

In January I want to get new rubber cones etc so I will replace all the knuckles then, for now I just need it roadworthy again!

#7 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:41 PM

yes the washers should really just cover the metal around the shocker bush too to stop any movement.

Don't forget shocks don't alter ride height at all,... so it's likely if it's really getting low,... that your rubber donuts are shot too.

#8 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

defo bigger washers needed for the shocks.

#9 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:44 PM

Y ou may know this but you NEED to use pre 1984 metro ball joints as the latter ones will not engage in the top and bottom arms properly due to being a bigger diameter.

#10 langers2k

langers2k

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:56 PM

Cheers for that! So does that mean I have metro hubs not mini hubs?

#11 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

Yep,

someone has put metro hubs on there.

also I would agree that the front being collaped could make the rear wheel touch the body.

really you need a scissor type ball joint splitter, this should get the broken bit out of the top arm too.

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=36236

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users