4 replies to this topic

#1 Tommi

Tommi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:50 AM

Well i have 2 pretty major probs with my mini at the mo, the biggest and most annoying the fact she wont start, think i've found the problem the fact the HT leads are as waterproof as a pair of lace thongs. Basicly I have a nice little pool of moisture sat in the top of my sparks and icicels on the other end if me HT's. I'm guessing thats the problem because when I try and start her she turns over but no fumes out the exaust so no ignition, also this has caused a nice little flooding problem ... how do I solve that one (carbs not inject). Just looking for a quick fix at the mo untill pay day comes when I cen get some decent HT leads and some heat proof rubber sealant. I thought of wacking a bit of vasline on top of the sparks and dist. caps but not done anything yet.

Thanks

Tommi.

PS the other is major oil leak but i've been givin a heads up about where that might be coming from.

Edited by Tommi, 25 December 2007 - 01:50 AM.

#2 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:18 PM

Take your HT leads off and your plugs out,... wrap them in kitchen roll and put them in your airing cupboard for a couple of hours,.. this should dry them out well enough to check if they're the problem when they'r re-fitted,.. Make sure all the connections on your dizzy cap and HT lead ends are clean bare metal and not bent or corroded.

Decent HT leads should be ok without the need for sealent,

Rather than try to de-flood the engine,... just dry the Spark Plugs off and clean them with some white spirit, put them back in the engine and try to start it.

Everything needs to be bone dry,.. when the dizzy is all dry and clean wrap a marigold with the finger ends cut off it round the dizzy,.. the HT leads pop out the fingers and wrap 'laccy bands round them to seal them off,... best form of waterproofing until the shops open and you can buy some new items :D

Hope this helps a bit, Merry christmas.

#3 Tommi

Tommi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

cheers for that, do that tomorrow. Merry christmas

Tommi

#4 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:21 PM

any luck mate?

#5 Ouster

Ouster

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,986 posts
  • Local Club: Looking

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:54 PM

If flooded, I've heard that holding the accelerator pedal down and cranking the engine for ten seconds or so will clear it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users