12 replies to this topic

#1 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

Ok, slightly off topic.....but hey, it's cristmas. ;)

I watched the xmas special, and I can't belive that Russel T Davies managed to get that script past the BBC - it ripped off SOOOOO many movies it wasn't even funny! :D

Basically, he took the plot of the film "the poseidon adventure", set it on the Titanic.......in space....(VERY similar story to an episode of Futurama...), pinched the "fight" scene with the robot hosts from a certain Star wars film (with similar sound effects!!........Mr G. Lucas is going to be unhappy.....) and even the design of the ships engines was taken from another film (not sure if it was "Event Horrizon" or "Contact" (Contact had a similar looking device that the pod traveled through) - or some combination of BOTH). :huh: :thumbsup:

Seriously, how the hell did he get away with that?? That whole script must have only took an hour at most, to write.......He didn't have to actually THINK of any plot or sciencey type devices, ideas or actual PLOT! :wub:
I want this guy's job! How much does he get paid to pass of these scripts as his "own" work? :thumbsup:

I've actually lost count of the number of science fiction movies that he's OBVIOUSLY copied almost word-for-word.

I'm begining to think I know the reason for the break in filming the next series until 2010..............The BBC want an ORIGINAL PLOT - and it'll take RTD that long to think of one!!! :P

SS

#2 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

Its Christmas, and it was a bloody good epoisode, even if you do think it was ripped off.

Have another pint, and forget about it :wub:

#3 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

yeah, definitely noticed the similarity's to so many other films especially the poseidon adventure. and of course there was the link to the old story of the actual titanic disaster being a staged insurance fraud to get the company out of the troubles with the damaged sister ship olympic.

but putting that aside i though the whole thing was a little too cheesy, but then so was the second half of the last series :thumbsup:

still enjoyed it though :wub: :D

Edited by THE ANORAK, 25 December 2007 - 10:19 PM.

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

it was good but i couldn't help think i had seen it before

#5 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

I've Sky + 'd it... I've been too busy entertaining!! :wub:

(Merry Christmas! :D)

#6 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:23 PM

you do realise we're all going to get a good kicking when Taffy gets on site :wub: :D

#7 Dog

Dog

Deathwish Fairy

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • 9,550 posts
  • Local Club: Shatrats.com

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:49 PM

you do realise we're all going to get a good kicking when Taffy gets on site :wub: :D

Why be that?

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:55 PM

the Taffy's make Dr who

#9 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:01 PM

you do realise we're all going to get a good kicking when Taffy gets on site :wub: :dontgetit:

Not me, I too am a second level Black Neck in Geek-fu - I can get away with it! :thumbsup: :D :P ;) :P

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the show, and same for the rest of the last series. I just wish that RTD could hand in something that was.....well......his own! :huh:

Would be nice to have a multi-episode format similar to the original series, too. The 'single episode start / finish in 45mins' format was a good idea to start the series off again, and RTD / the Beeb said that the format was that way so that younger / new viewers to the show, could just jump in at any point and follow along with the story arc for the series. Fair enough. But it has been going for a couple of years now, and I'm preeeety sure that any one who is likely to watch it.......has seen it, or heard about it and KNOWS when the show is on, and are prolly quite capable of now watching the series as a multiple episode, series length story from start to finish, with out any extra hand-holding from the writers or the BBC...... :dozing:

Ah well, at least they didn't make a total dog's dinner out of it and kill it after only one series, like so many other sci fi shows have ended up. :thumbsup:

Hmmm.....time for a final drop of the good stuff before I head off to bed, and sleep off the large ammount of Turkey dinner and sweet stuff that I stuffed myself with earlier... ;)

SS

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:48 AM

and why's it always set on earth ?

don't they have any alien planet sets ?

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

Because the tradition which has been built on the Christmas special is that London get's it.... wern't you watching !!! duh

I liked the Fraud reference, as there was a program on the box a few days ago which dealt with that exact subject and for me, a good piece of Fantasy story telling...

#12 Silicon Skum

Silicon Skum

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:06 AM

and why's it always set on earth ?

don't they have any alien planet sets ?

Budget constranints - they spend so much on the CGI and the set design, that they CAN'T actually afford to take the show off earth. :thumbsup:
The funny thing is, they used to spend NOTHING on the set design for the original series (in fact one of the "monsters" / aliens was actually a BBC camera man rolled up in a large sheet of plastic bubble wrap and sprayed green.........apparently he nearly suffocated too, and had to be cut free. :D ), and the original series was set in the most bizzare locations and situations (like the story with the evil, giant Bertie Bassett monster..... :wub: ) which made the story SOOO much more intersting.

SS

#13 THE ANORAK

THE ANORAK

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:13 AM

you do realise we're all going to get a good kicking when Taffy gets on site :wub: :thumbsup:

Why be that?

because "our" taffy is a complete Dr Who nut :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users