Photo
- - - - -

Speedo Screaming And Cant Turn 69 To 70 K-km...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bobby Ewing

Bobby Ewing

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hi there, and mery X-mas :wub: I have done three nice jobs on my mini today, throtlecable regreased, clutch slavecylinder hose renewed, and exhaust thigtend. It runs very well, and silent, for the first time. I like the silent way....But then i reached 69 K-km on the speedodial, and it wouldnt turn the digits. I first wasent bothered, but now, after a few km, it has started screaming and whiining from the speedo.
Is there any way one could dismantle the Smiths speedo, and maybe fidle with the tripcounter....and then maybe be the screaming quit?
The speedo still shows the speed...bu it is loud and annoing.!

Regards
Otto

Edited by Bobby Ewing, 26 December 2007 - 03:15 PM.

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

Google for "Anthony Rhodes" and "repairing jaeger & smiths speedometers". You'll find he's written a 27 page PDF that covers disassembly and maintenance of the speedometers. The document is not unique to Minis, it applies to all Smiths & Jaeger speedometers (and mechanical tachometers). It's a MUST have if you want to work on this yourself. Make sure you print out a copy of the PDF and work in a clean, well lit area, on a clean cloth to catch the parts. So you remain at ease during the dissection, photograph and sketch each part as you remove it. These steps make the process longer but they will give you much greater confidence.

#3 Bobby Ewing

Bobby Ewing

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Thanks, found the pdf. Will attend to do it tomorrow. Cool pdf, i think i will have to reach in my brain, and find all of my Technic Lego experience.....

#4 Bobby Ewing

Bobby Ewing

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

Job done, thanks for help, it was very usefull to have the pdffile. Luckely i could fix the tripcounter without removing more than the cromesurróunding and glas. I oiled the moving parts and fitted an akudrillmashine, then fidled the tripdigits, while making 80 km/h with the Dewalt. Now i can make the next 10 k km, maybe more, with no problems (hopefully). I had a bouncing speedo needle before, but after greasing the cable, it is more steady. One thing i must warne about, is the fitting "screw" (dont know the word for it) the one that holds the speedocable attached to the speedo. Be aware of it not slipping down the cable! a dreadfull job to get it back up if you are alone!

Regards
Otto

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

Hi Otto, I'm glad you got it sorted. Hopefully you won't have any more problems. A word of caution though if you have to go inside the gauge again. Make sure to use lubricant sparingly and use light oil, nothing heavy or thick. Never oil the spindle on which the needle/pointer is mounted.

#6 Bobby Ewing

Bobby Ewing

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Noted!

I have just come home from the summer resident, 65 km, and no probs. Great!

#7 Bobby Ewing

Bobby Ewing

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

Noted!

I have just come home from the summer resident, 65 km, and no probs. Great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users