8 replies to this topic

#1 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

Over the past couple of weeks I've had stuff dumped on my driveway. This picture should give you an idea of what my property is. Where the red 405 is parked and the space in front of it, belongs to me.

Posted Image

About a week ago now someone dumped a load of metal in front of the 405... So I just threw it into the alley to the left of the drive. Then it turned up again, back on my property. So I did the same again, and someone else must have god rid of the rubbish as I haven't seen it again...

Came home the other night, and someone had dumped one of those massive rubble sacks in the same place. There wasn't anything in it, and I just put it in the alley again. It's still there now.

I know it's not right for me to just chuck it in the alley, but what am I meant to do about it?!

I put a sign up on the wall saying 'Do not dump rubbish on my property. Police and council will be contacted in future!'

Is this the right course of action, and would anything actually be done about it if I did phone either the police or council?

Starting to get very annoyed with it all...

#2 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

fly tipping is illegal no matter where it is, firstly erect a sign that says 'private property no fly tipping £1000 penalty' 'cctv in operation'
write to the council environmental services, telling them the problem, take photographs of all the incidents, in many cases they will investigate on your behalf, i hope this helps a little

Edited by imabitnaughtyxx, 28 December 2007 - 02:19 PM.

#3 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:23 PM

How could I enforce this £1000 penalty? :(

Ha, I take it that would be just to deter someone from doing it?

So I should wait for it to happen again before I contact any authority? And I take it that the Police wouldn be interested, just the council..?

Also, isn't there a new number you can phone, when something's not important enough to use 999... I can't remember what the number is. I think it's for reporting things like vandalism, anti-social behavour, fly tipping, and the lkes... :)

#4 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

How could I enforce this £1000 penalty? :(

Ha, I take it that would be just to deter someone from doing it?

So I should wait for it to happen again before I contact any authority? And I take it that the Police wouldn be interested, just the council..?

Also, isn't there a new number you can phone, when something's not important enough to use 999... I can't remember what the number is. I think it's for reporting things like vandalism, anti-social behavour, fly tipping, and the lkes... :)

no idea, in our area environmental services deal with it, you can ring your local police station on an 0845 number, usually found on police vans i believe, try the sign it must look good and official though, see if that works first

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

Besides signs and CCTV there isn't a great deal you can do about it.

But if it happens again, don't just dump it onto some elses (even if it is the councils) property! :(

#6 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

What should I do with it then?

I dont have time to visit the tip, and if I just leave it there the problem will only get bigger no doubt!

Edited by Feeble, 28 December 2007 - 03:11 PM.

#7 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

arrange for the council to collect it free of charge, as i said you must contact environmental services asap to clarify all this and make arrangements for anything dumped in the future
cheers KC

#8 MiniSal

MiniSal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:58 PM

The phone number you are thinking of is 101, but it looks like main govenment funding is to be removed from this service so it may get abolished sometime next year. It is worth trying that number. Also go on your local council website and see what they have to say about flytipping. You could put up a sign advising that you will report flytippers, but it is probably best to take advice off the council to begin with. If you arrange for the council to collect any junk that has been dumped, do make sure the service is free- we get charged if we want anything collected by our local council.

#9 Feeble

Feeble

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 04:20 PM

Well I just sat on the phone for 5 minutes trying to contact the Council switchboard... No answer, so while I was waiting I had a look on their website, and saw this...

This is the illegal dumping of waste. The Council is responsible for the clearing of fly tips on adopted highways and Council owned land. If the fly tipping has occurred on private land, the landlord or tenant is responsible for removing the illegally dumped waste.

Often fly tipping/dumping of rubbish occurs on private land that does not fall to the responsibility of the Local Authority to clear. Many rear passageways are private property that are the shared responsibility of all residents who benefit from the access. Consequently the duty to maintain them falls to the residents.

Gosport Borough Council can provide free amenity skips in an effort to dispose of unwanted items. For information on applying for an amenity skip please call the Contracts Section on 023 9254 5343.

Is it just me who thinks that's a p*ss take? What's to stop it happening again? Whoever's doing it will think 'That mug at number 77 will get a skip and clear all of our C**p!' Can't see that helping at all!!

Edited by Feeble, 28 December 2007 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users