#1 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Local Club: ...

Posted 30 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

i was wondering what sort of protection people have used to put between the flip front and the body to stop movement/scratches etc.

my flip front includes a panels so i can put something down the inside of the a panels and around the scuttle and inner wings.

i was wondering what people have used.

cheeres

J

#2 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

between the body to protect the paint ect, most people dont but have about a 3/4mm gap there and its fine useually. however on the mountings eg from the car to the flip front rubber grommets really need to be used to stop the vibration as otherwise the gel coat will crack around these areas.

#3 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 30 December 2007 - 03:05 PM

Hmm I've been thinking about this too, as there's a gap between the scuttle and the top of the wing, and I need something to stop road dirt coming through. Self adhesive D profile door rubbers are the best thing I've found so far, as used in hot rods to sort out uneven door gaps etc.

HERE BE LINKY GOODNESS

#4 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 04:50 PM

ive used some chrome 'push on' detailing/edging from halfrauds , you can also get rubber type stuff on ebay but the chrome stuff ive used looks nice and is my taste, ive used rubber washers on the back of the flip front fasteners to absorb some vibration

hope this helps, kc

#5 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

If fitted some black rubber stuff, however his jas rubbed on the scuttle so im gunu have to re-paint it now and take more of the front away >_<

#6 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

my front end is steel.

oops didnt realise i put flip front. my front is just removeable.

ill post when i find something suitable to help others.

cheers

Jakc

#7 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

Have a look on Ebay for some self adhesive neoprene strip. We use some stuff that is about 2 inches in width, and comes in lengths of 10 metres i think. Its awesome stuff, and is hard wearing enough to protect the paint without being hard enough to hold the flip front open too much.... We found most rubber seals just weren't flexible enough to do the job, and they looked a bit bodged...

You can make out the strips in the picture below, they run down the back of each inner wing where it meets the A panel, and along the edge of the bonnet where it meets the scuttle panel.

Posted Image

#8 imabitnaughtyxx

imabitnaughtyxx

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 10:21 AM

my front end is steel.

oops didnt realise i put flip front. my front is just removeable.

ill post when i find something suitable to help others.

cheers

Jakc

mine is removable also but GRP, the rubber strip will work though

kc

#9 $way

$way

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 04:42 PM

Have a look on Ebay for some self adhesive neoprene strip. We use some stuff that is about 2 inches in width, and comes in lengths of 10 metres i think. Its awesome stuff, and is hard wearing enough to protect the paint without being hard enough to hold the flip front open too much.... We found most rubber seals just weren't flexible enough to do the job, and they looked a bit bodged...

You can make out the strips in the picture below, they run down the back of each inner wing where it meets the A panel, and along the edge of the bonnet where it meets the scuttle panel.

cheers mate

i reckon this is the stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users