4 replies to this topic

#1 neilfenstein

neilfenstein

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:08 PM

I keep getting exhaust blowing from the exhaust clamp below the turbo before the downpipe. I think this is because i didnt originally have a bottom engine steady. However, i have now fitted a steady, the standard mini one that mounts into the subframe and bolts on to a clamp next to the sump plug.

I was wondering if you have any tips or good suggestions on the best way to seal this clamp, methods, paste etc.

In the past i have used a trolley jack at the bottom of the downpipe to squeeze the two parts together with some exhaust paste in between and around the join then the clamp on over that. Is this the best way to do this?

Many thanks in advance!!

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:29 PM

are you using the metro downpipe? or one of the avonbar/maniflow ones? if its the latter than you'll need to open up the clamp with a grinder to get it to clamp properly. its just that the clamp is designed for the metro downpipe which is 1.75" whereas the maniflow one is 2". which means that it clamps onto the exhaust before it fully clamps the turbo elbow and it'll always blow. i havent taken enough out of mine as its still blowing.

#3 neilfenstein

neilfenstein

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:53 AM

It is a later maniflow single box turbo exhaust bought from minispares.

I assume you just have to grind it out to make the cross sectional cup bigger?

Thats great, any more info? How much deaper should the clamp be made?

Thanks.

#4 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:40 PM

no idea on actual measurements dude, just do it a little at a time untill its the right size, you only need to open up the botom lip of the clamp as its the right size for the turbo but not the exhaust downpipe.

#5 neilfenstein

neilfenstein

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:59 AM

Thanks that is great I get what you mean now I was going to make the inside bit deaper, stupid!

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users