#1 998 mini 25

998 mini 25

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:02 PM

Hey everyone,

Hoping to put my mini into a show at some point and all ive heard is that people who judge the cars are very strict on stupid little things, just wondering whether they mind if the car has been wax oiled underneath. because at the moment my car has had stuff like doors etc done but not the underside or up in the arches. would i be able to do this or do they just mark you down for it. also whats the best stuff to use because i was jusr gunna use the black stuff because the supposedly clear stuff turns brown. (not nice)

Also my engine is looking a little bit rusty and you can barely tell that it is yellow. does anyone know what the correct colour yellow would be to paint it.

Cheers

Scott

#2 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

If you give Somerford Minis a ring and tell them you've got a Mini 25, they'll sort you out with the correct engine paint :)

#3 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

It's dependant on the judge,... some like to see totally mint example of Minis with No rust protection underneath at all.

others are more realistic and don't mind seeing underseal... You could always use stone chip instead and paint over it body colour :)

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Depends as I thing there are two main classes apart from the obvious years/variants. Concourse- completely original mint example and working class- for every day used minis, but are still at a high level.

#5 998 mini 25

998 mini 25

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:12 PM

Hey,

Right i will give them a ring when just before im ready to take the engine out, does it actually look any good a few months down the line or does it just go all flakey. because i really dont want to have to keep on taking the engine out and re-painting it.

i might be being really stupid here but what is the 'stone chip@ stuff look like and how good is it, because i think i have already got that on the underside, it just stuff like my subframe will definately need doing because i dont want to have to replace the new one.

how tough is the working class category because i do drivce my mini every single day so it does havea few little stone chips.

also has anyone been attacked by a lorry driving past that grits the roads. i dont think that did my paintwork much good either.

cheers

#6 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

couldn't tell you what the paint is like after a few months as i haven't done it yet! :huh:

But if you're taking the engine out to do it, you might be better off getting the spray can version of the paint, as you'll get a nicer finish :D

(that's what I was advised by Somerford anyway :withstupid: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users