#1 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hi all

I was thinking about getting my z cars shell shot lasted or even chemically stripped and primed but the cost of the strip am priming is very very high and tey recon that the shell cant be taken in till mid july.

here is the break down of chemically stripping the shell. The shell has been stripped by wire brush already but does have lots of surface rust on ut now!

COST OF DIPPING AND STRIPPING £595 plus vat

COST OF HAVING IT E COATED £795 plus vat

What do ytou all think?Do you feel that shot blasting and priming would be much better and cheeper??

Phil

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

If you can get it blasted with walnut shell rather than grit then go that way... It's a lot kinder to the metal and does not leave that rough finish on the steel...

Not had it done, but it is generally deemed to be a lot kinder to the shell..

I got a quote of 250 to blast my van.

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:01 PM

the advantage of the dipping is it gets to all the inside of the box sections unlike blasting

if you ever see it on tv watch camper van crisis on discovery channel and see how much dipping removes

#4 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

the advantage of the dipping is it gets to all the inside of the box sections unlike blasting

if you ever see it on tv watch camper van crisis on discovery channel and see how much dipping removes

Surely if you have it dipped and it cleans inside all of the box sections etc You would have to have it E coated or dipped in some sort of primer otherwise the insde of the box section would be bare metal and rust rather fast!

#5 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:18 PM

Hi all

I was thinking about getting my z cars shell shot lasted or even chemically stripped and primed but the cost of the strip am priming is very very high and tey recon that the shell cant be taken in till mid july.

here is the break down of chemically stripping the shell. The shell has been stripped by wire brush already but does have lots of surface rust on ut now!

COST OF DIPPING AND STRIPPING £595 plus vat

COST OF HAVING IT E COATED £795 plus vat

What do ytou all think?Do you feel that shot blasting and priming would be much better and cheeper??

Phil

Do you mean Zcars or Zeemax shell? if you did mean Zcars does that mean your putting a Zcars engine in a Zeemax mini?
Do you have to take the Zeemax kit off to get it shot blasted? If not it would ruin the kit wouldnt it?

#6 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

I have been watching beetle crisis and thats why i thought it was a good i dea and that i should go down that route. However the prices seem a little high considering that there would be the cost of spraying the shell as well as after the process has been done?

Surely there is only the inner sills which would require cleaning on the shell as there would be very l;ittle to it, being a z car shell. no back end or front with it being fibre glass??

Phil

#7 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

Its not a zeemax kit its a zeemax front end and ERA turbo kit minus the era front end. That my almost complete project the next one is about to start whcih is a z cars project

Phil

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 02 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

Surely if you have it dipped and it cleans inside all of the box sections etc You would have to have it E coated or dipped in some sort of primer otherwise the insde of the box section would be bare metal and rust rather fast!

yep thats the idea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users