#1 minipixie

minipixie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:08 PM

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any hints as to how I get my top and bottom dash rails off? i want to spray them but dont know how to get them off they look like this if it helps??
sian

Attached Files

#2 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:31 PM

I think teh bottom dash is just glued on so you'll have to use some persuasion but the top rail is held on by 4 nuts that are located towards the back of it from inderneath. You need to remove the blank lining car you can see on teh bulkhead and use a spanner! They are bloody hard to get to but with a little patience you can get them off!

#3 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:37 PM

the dashes are bolted on the top dash has 3 bolts one at each end and one in the middle.

the same i think for the bottom one maybe a few more, you will have to take some of teh cosmetic bits of teh dash first liek your air vents, and the plastic cover, surround to gain access to the bolts. a 10mm socket or 7/16 will be required, can't remember exactlly, but one or the other..

#4 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:40 PM

k, next question....
how do i take the air vents off??
ull have to understand iv not done anything like this before, the most iv done to my mini is take the door cards off to recover themn put some lil scratch gaurds behind the door handles n it took me a while to work out how to do them! so ur dealin with someone who doesnt know much about the lil fiddly bits here!! :grin:
sian

#5 cowboy

cowboy

Friend of TMF

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:59 PM

to remove the air vent you have to undo the cap which i have ringed in the picture below, this just unscrews, then you can take of the shroud to remove the dash linning, you can leave the rest of teh vent in place to remove the dash top and bottom sections then

Attached Files

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:38 AM

The bottom rail is a 'snug' fit, you need to remove the heater screws and switch panel screws, and also worst of all the sterring column top bracket and first bot of the pedal box, then just ease of the chrome strip along the back, and then you can peel it off, by getting you finger round the back and under fron the top, and pulling the lip back and over. Be slow and carful, as it's only a bit of expanded foam, and will tear if pulled too hard.

#7 miniman5

miniman5

1 Gold star

• Members
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:49 AM

yea you do have to take them off teh from bit unscrews itle be V stiff though and i tried to get my rail out but it was takign ages so left it in i would just mask it up! i tihnk i mite do that today...

#8 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

:P :cry:
it sounds mega hard! wish id neva asked lol!
cheers for the pic cowboy, mite giv it a go this afternoon if i dare :saywhat:

#9 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:43 PM

I just used newspaper and masking tape to cover everything when I sprayed my dash black and my roof lining silver... it does take a while to tape everything up well but its all in the prep... Look ace after. I had a grey dash before and it looks so much better.

Hope that helps,

TML

#10 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:53 PM

jus bin out in my car n was thinkin bout doin the same thing!!! so i might giv that a go cus theyres no way ill be able to work out how to remove the steerin column thingy etc etc!
let ya know how it goes
sian

#11 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 08:07 PM

okies...just remember to cover EVERYTHING ... seats windows the lot :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users