11 replies to this topic

#1 tomkidd

tomkidd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:54 PM

Hi guys. Has anyone got any advice or experience in sand blasting a shell? Im after someone who knows what they are doing in Preston, lancs kind of area?

#2 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:32 PM

Hi..!..Tom sandblasting is not the way to go as it bites into metal and you will have to put a ton of primer and rub and aton of priner and rub till you have a nice clean flat finish for colour respray I use Nitromorse auto paint spripper splash it on and see it work before your eyes it magic than wash off with soapy water dry with heat gun and use ech primer job done .............. :-

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

Crushed walnut shells make a good blasting media for bodywork, doesn't damage metal but eats paint. It will still blow seriously rusty areas to pieces though. Any good body shop should be able to get all kinds of different media for blasting. As above though paint stripping is simple and effective.

#4 BowersMini

BowersMini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:20 AM

is sandblasting still bad if u get it done by pros and primed by pros?

#5 nurseholliday

nurseholliday

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

It depends what pressure you use, and how intelligent you are with the blasting gun.

Nut-blasting will be kinder to the shell overall, but if you use it at the low pressure required to save the shell you'll barely remove surface rust! A professional should know exactly what they're doing, I spent a long time sand and nut blasting.

#6 tomkidd

tomkidd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

Cheers guys. Im not after blasting the bodypanels, just the floor, the underneath, the boot and the engine bay?

#7 nurseholliday

nurseholliday

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:21 AM

Sandblasting should be no problem for that dude.

#8 tomkidd

tomkidd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:18 AM

Ive been quoted £220 for blasting the parts I want doing. The inside, boot and engine bay would be done using recycled media, and the underside would be done using un-recycled. Any thoughts?

#9 rsk289

rsk289

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

Sandblasting is not a problem at all for a Mini bodyshell, as long as the blaster knows what he's doing. I had my '68 Mustang fastback shell, roof, enormous rear wings and all, done a couple of years ago and there's no rippling, warping etc anywhere.

Attached File  07_Euroclassic_MSA_009c.jpg   652.95K   12 downloads

...so a mini shell should be totally safe. My MkII Cooper will be blasted as soon as I've finished the basic welding.
If it blows holes in the badly rusted bits, well, that's what you want, isn't it?

Roger

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

Yeah sand blasting is fine if done by the right person, but walnut shell is the safest media to use. If you attempt to blast it yourself with a hand blaster, be very careful as it's easy to warp the panels.

#11 tomkidd

tomkidd

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

Cheers guys. The shell is in suprisingly sound condition and the blasting is only being done to tidy up the surface rust etc and show me what I have got underneath. The interior and engine bay are just being done so it can be keyed for paint etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by tomkidd, 08 January 2008 - 10:15 PM.

#12 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:28 PM

Wow that shell does look in pretty good nick!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users