9 replies to this topic

#1 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

i have had a look on the government website but is there a rule to say i cant have a concrete based workshop? im planning on an 18'x12' base then up 8' with a slight pitch on the roof.

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

It depends on the volume of what your building, and I think erections (uh errr) over a certain height need planning permission.

I believe, any house gets a set volume of space then can add to their existing buildings, over this then again, you need planning.

Also, if it alters the look of the front of the main building, again might need planning!

Sorry I'm not being more helpful, this is just stuff I've vaguely picked up from my architect sister.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,428 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:33 PM

I don't think you are likely to need planning permission for ground works but think you do for any permanent structure that alters the outline of your property. Quite likely it'll also effect your council tax.

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

talk to your local building control and ask them what you can have

#5 *DJH*

*DJH*

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts
  • Local Club: www.bigpower.co.uk

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:25 PM

talk to your local building control and ask them what you can have

Seconded, your council will tell you all you need to know, we asked them about the regs when we built the workshop out back :shy:

#6 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

You can extend your house without planning permission so long as you don't increase the floor arear by 10%, whether that includes detached buildings I don't know.

Greenhouses are also exempt from planning permission.

THat is the full extent of my knowledge on planning law.

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:25 PM

You can extend your house without planning permission so long as you don't increase the floor arear by 10%,

Without planning permission YES, without building regulations approval NO. They are two different things.

People will tell you that if it's a timber building then it's a temporary structure and as such exempt from planning. This is another one of those myths that people like to hide behind and kid themselves that they aren't breaking the law. Some timber buildings require permission, my house for example is built from timber and it needed planning consent funnily enough. As above only your council can tell you for sure as every local authority enforces the rules differently.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

.....my house for example is built from timber.....

This was before Dan's straw house, but the big bad council wolf came along and said, "This house doesn't have building regulations approval", and he huffed, and he puffed, and he blew that house down!

#9 SolarB

SolarB

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:24 AM

You can extend your house without planning permission so long as you don't increase the floor arear by 10%, whether that includes detached buildings I don't know.

From what I remember from building my extension you need planning permission for any extension attached to a property. If the increase is under 10% of the original volume I believe you have permitted development rights (think that's the term) but the council still need to see and approve plans and drawings.

A neighbor of mine has a very nice workshop (probably 12' x 20') built out of concrete block with a pitched tiled roof at the end of his back garden. He said the solid construction allowed him a larger volume because the fire regulations for wooden buildings are more strict.

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:51 PM

there are also measurement from your neighbours and the road

its best to just phone building control :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users