#1 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hi all

Was just wanting to no the most popular choice that most of you have opted for, the r1 or hyabusa?

I personally think i might go for the R1 is there a particular model i should avoid?and does it need to be injection?

Let me no what you think

Phil

Edited by philly c, 10 January 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#2 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

R1 !

#3 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

if your considering a pro-motive kit you're only going to be able to use a pre-2003 engine I believe - all the details are on their website.

They have successfully used both the carb and injection engines from this time.

Mine is a 2003 injected 5PW engine. other guys doing the conversions I know have used carb based engines. >_<

Edited by roofless, 10 January 2008 - 06:25 PM.

#4 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:31 PM

Ur A STAR! so if i opt for the pre carb i guess soem tweeks and mods maybe a bit easier? >_< I had a look on the site but didnt manage to find to info section any links??

Many Thanks

Phil

#5 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:33 PM

I think if you can afford the Busa then go with that. It does have much better torque.

#6 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:34 PM

Is there much in it though between the two i.e 0 - 60?

Edited by philly c, 10 January 2008 - 06:35 PM.

#7 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:44 PM

Is there much in it though between the two i.e 0 - 60?

there is no doubt, the busa is the more powerful beast, but your looking at double the cost of an R1 engine, and probably a fair bit more. If your looking for an 'off the shelf' conversion kit I think you may be limited to a Z cars kit with the Busa option. At least with the R1 you have in my opinion a more affordable package, and the best introduction to bike engined cars without excessive outlay.

#8 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

They both produce 180bhp and your very right bout the initial outlay! i might have chance of an 1999 r1 going for £500 carbed version.I suppose at the end of the day with a few tweeks you could always upgrade at a later date

Phil

#9 supermotolee

supermotolee

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:24 PM

a 1999 r1 engoine does not produce 180bhp... if your going z cars i'd go busa lump but if your looking into the fwd kits the 1999 will be fine thats what i have 4xv i hope it'l be around 130bhp and believe me its plenty fast enough lol

#10 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:03 AM

a 1999 r1 engoine does not produce 180bhp... if your going z cars i'd go busa lump but if your looking into the fwd kits the 1999 will be fine thats what i have 4xv i hope it'l be around 130bhp and believe me its plenty fast enough lol

damn right!! ;)

#11 Adamsm

Adamsm

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:47 PM

R1 vs. Hayabusa

#12 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:07 AM

R1 vs. Hayabusa

fair comment - but I still think there is a break point where you have to weigh up extra power against practical use. If you building a full blown trackday car and have got danglies made of titanium, and a very large budget ( used porsche boxster / WRX / asbo V11 territory ) then go for the Busa - you'd be mad not to.

If you want a reliable daily use car with lots of grunt for about the same budget as a high end A series engine, box and diff then go R1 with a pro-motive conversion.

If you then want the mental performance of the Busa, consider aftermarket additions and conversions for the R1 and take 3 mates for a drive when its finished.

Oh yeah - you cant do that with a z car can you? ;)

#13 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hi Phil
A 1998/99 4xv carb R1 is 140bhp @9900rpm and 79ibft torque standard, but 160bhp is cheaply available by re-jetting the carbs. You can get around 180bhp out of a carb engine (but not an injection) by sourcing a set of standard blackbird throttle bodies and a mappable ecu. These throttle bodies are larger than the later R1 injection tb's and will fit straight on a carb engine with no mods (again they will not fit an injection r1). I got mine for £27 on ebay, so keep your eyes peeled for a bargain. A local tuner I know used to race R1's and says he used to regularly get 190bhp with the same set up - but I think he is over egging it slightly.

A 2000/01 5JJ injection R1 is 147.9bhp @10,000rpm and 79.5Ibft torque - most people use bypass power chip type products to achieve at most I think 172bhp.
Folks, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,
Ali

#14 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

PS - the engine number is stamped on the engine right next to the round oil-sight glass

#15 philly c

philly c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:58 PM

Thanks very much for the really helpful advise,the inner competitive edge has yet again over ruled and its going to have to be the hayabusa. Been speaking to a few people to day and i think i have managed to source an 06 or 07 engine with all the runnig gear.

How much have you all apent roughtly on your busa engines if you dont mind me asking?Just i want to make sure i am getting a good deal.

Many Thanks

Phil:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users