#1 Redjohnno

Redjohnno

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Original Italian Job is going to be released on Blu ray?

#2 lil dan

lil dan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:56 PM

someone correct me if im wrong, but as far as i'm aware the film would have to be filmed in HD to be released on disc in HD.

#3 haz

haz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:38 PM

they can remaster them, i forget what iv watched that'd been done... dr no perhaps, they just sharpen them up a bit. to be honest it looked worse if anything, seemed almost a bit fake like those scenes in old films in a car where the scenery is superimposed...

but strictly speaking, yes, you would have to film it in HD

#4 Redjohnno

Redjohnno

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:39 PM

someone correct me if im wrong, but as far as i'm aware the film would have to be filmed in HD to be released on disc in HD.

Just wondered, as seen older films like Enter The Dragon on Blu ray

#5 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

quick google suggests only new ( C**p ) version of IJ is available on blu ray.

look! a real mini in dodgy re-make of Italian Job!!!!

#6 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

they can remaster them, i forget what iv watched that'd been done... dr no perhaps, they just sharpen them up a bit. to be honest it looked worse if anything, seemed almost a bit fake like those scenes in old films in a car where the scenery is superimposed...

but strictly speaking, yes, you would have to film it in HD

Dont forget that films of that era were produced and shown from genuine film - not video.
To put onto video or DVD it would have to be digitised, so there is no reason why a high def version could not be made - it just needs to be scanned / digitised in the 1080 format :cry:

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

Films of what era? Anything worthwhile is still shot on film today mate. Digital is a big pile of steaming carp. ANYTHING shot well on film within the last 40 years will have far more resolution and colour depth than HD and can easily be TKd onto any of those nasty digital formats. Can only be put on Blu-Ray if shot in HD? Hopefully not since that would mean they could only release perhaps 25 big budget studio pictures on Blu-Ray. Practically NOTHING for the big screen or for commercials or bigger budget promos is shot digitally. Yes Lucas shot the last two Star Wars pictures on digital (if you don't count the 60% - 70% that was re-shot on film in secret at Elstree because the digital technology simply didn't work) but that's just because he is intent on destroying the film industry and wants to make more money for himself. He thinks he doesn't already own enough of the planet or something. I've done about 3 pictures on digital now and have used all the various so called professional HD cameras and they are all rubbish. A complete pain in the rear to use and a huge compromise in image quality and production schedule just to save money in one stage of editing and it doesn't even save much because the digital cameras cost so much more than film cameras and doing anything with them takes so long. Cinemas hate digital too because the projectors cost a fortune and will need replacing every 3 to 5 years.

It's all a big con to make more money for technology companies (like everything with the HD symbol on it) and frankly I dread the future of the industry. My opinion, originate on the highest quality available which means film. Then when some silly technobod invents yet another new picture standard or recording standard that is imperceptably improved over what everybody is still in the middle of adapting to and they decide to rush out half developed equipment with no media support again, they can re-TK all the films and make yet more money from selling the new discs of the same films that everybody bought three years previously. AGAIN. If they are shot on digital they are limited to the abilities of the technology that shot them. The same is true of film of course but film has a lot more latitude, colour depth, contrast and resolution than anything digital will for a good few years yet. And you can shoot at any speed. And we all understand how to shoot with it because it perceives light the same way we do. Digital is limited, upscaling is garbage and another con.

Film has been physically the same for 80 years, the emulsions improve with development but anything shot 80 years ago can be projected by a projector made yesterday and vice versa. Digital changes entirely every three years or so and then everybody needs new equipment. The only people that is good for are the people making the equipment.

Anyway sorry for that unrelated rant but some of the things said here wound me up a little. I'm off to bed because I've got to get up and go push some cameras about in the morning. Film cameras.

FILM FOREVER.

Edited by Dan, 12 January 2008 - 12:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users