#1 D3nch

D3nch

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Local Club: "The Boys are Back"

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

Ive heard alot about the new parking laws, but a few of my customers on my round have said "oh dont park on the kerb, you'll get points for that now!"

Is this true?????

Are they now giving out points onto people licences for parking offences? Surely they cant justify giving you points to park on the kerb if you only get £30 fine for no seat belt! - whats more dangerous afterall???

This is going to cause chaos down some roads if people cant park on the pavements!

I hope my customers were wrong!

Add

#2 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:08 PM

i bloody hope not!! I got one last week!! >:D

College haven't sorted my permit yet, so told me not to worry about the parking warden. So I didn't worry and parked anyway!!! And he gave me a ticket!!!!!! >:thumbsup:

#3 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts
  • Local Club: www.lcmoc.com

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:20 PM

At the moment the parking fine is invalid unless it's actually put on your vehicle - apparently this is due to change in March and it will be valid as soon as it's entered on the attendants PDA. In places like Manchester (I believe) the attendants have head-cameras anyway so that doesn't affect them but my local council's wardens aren't equipped with cameras.

A spokesperson for the AA said it will cause 'chaos' with drivers because a lot of people will not know what the changes are until they come into force.

I can understand why the councils want to enforce parking regulations and to keep traffic flowing but from personal experience it's more of a money-making system than anything else.

I work for a company and I require the vehicle to be nearby for tools and equipment I need to do my job. In the past I have had 7 parking fines on 7 consecutive working days all in different places and all in situations where I have parked - yes illegally - but not obstructing the right of way of pedestrians or the flow of traffic or emergency services access. I don't dispute the fines because the company pays them - good job really or I wouldn't have a wage left at the end of the month :D

If it was me who had to pay the fines I'd have gone to the papers about it and taken it a lot higher by now. A few weeks back I was working - required tools etc to do the job - and there were three parking places within walking distance. The first place was on double yellow lines blocking one lane of the 3-lane city centre loop road. The second place was a multi-storey car park which the vehicle cannot fit into due to it's height. The third - the one which I chose - was a recessed Taxi bay - no taxis around at that time of a morning may I add - and I always put my mobile number in the window in case anyone needs me to move the vehicle.

On returning to the vehicle I was greeted by a lovely (:thumbsup: ) parking attendant who actually called me an idiot - by that point I hadn't called him any names or even raised my voice - all I'd said to him was stick a fine on it, because I'm going to be here all day!

Another example was earlier this week - another day, another warden. Me and a colleague were working adjacent to a shopping centre. There is a long bay marked 'Pick up Set Down Only' and adjacent to that, 'Taxis Only'. Both bays were FULL of cars - not taxis and not picking up/dropping off passengers - not one of them had a parking fine on. Yet when we pulled up on double yellow lines behind these bays - because we actually NEEDED to be there - the parking attendant made a beeline for our vehicle with the intention of putting a fine on. Then ensued a fun game of cat and mouse of driving up and down the street a few times (which I have to say was absolutely hilarious) before the warden gave up and went off in a sulk - without putting fines on the other blatently illegally parked cars may I add.

Some wardens are okay - I've had a couple approach me and say I know you're working here, so I'll leave you alone. >_< that's great, and that's how it should be providing the vehicle isn't obstructing anything. But others - their attitude just stinks - they can see you in the vehicle but they stand there, write out a ticket, place it on the windscreen and walk off without even bothering.

Anyway I'm not the one to argue the case, if I start arguing with the council then I'm representing my company and doing so if I say something out of turn then the company would hold me responsible...

In conclusion, if I'm an idiot for trying to park responsibly, what message does that give to me? Don't bother trying to park responsibly in future because you're an idiot if you do so!

#4 Globule

Globule

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

Its just, seeing a post about parking and that yorkshirechrise has replied, just makes me smile :D

#5 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:23 PM

Its just, seeing a post about parking and that yorkshirechrise has replied, just makes me smile :D

:thumbsup: I didn't go on a rant did I? I thought it was quite a balanced response!

#6 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:24 PM

I was booked for parking with two wheels on the pavement outside my house (no restrictions) when there were cars across the road parked on school markings. Time was 3.30pm.
No other cars were given a ticket, felt like getting the camera out :D

#7 D3nch

D3nch

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

all I'd said to him was stick a fine on it, because I'm going to be here all day!

In London you would get towed after 30 minutes I believe!

I get my fines paid for me, well parking anyway!

Any idea about endorsments on licences then???

Add

#8 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Its just, seeing a post about parking and that yorkshirechrise has replied, just makes me smile :thumbsup:

I was going to say the same thing, but for me they just make me roll my eyes! :D

#9 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Surely they can't give you points on your license?

If they will be doing from 1st March I'll be license-less by March 5th. :D

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

my work van spends most of its life parked on yellow lines and 99.9% of police and traffic wardens are fine and don't give me any problems

like Chris say as long as i park senseable and leave a note where to find me every thing is ok

#11 yorkshirechris

yorkshirechris

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:35 PM

That's in Cornwall though where life is laid back and no-one cares :thumbsup:

Up here they're like vultures if they think issuing a fine will earn them a bit of bonus at the end of the month :D

#12 Teapot

Teapot

TMF Legend

• Members
  • 5,010 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

my work van spends most of its life parked on yellow lines and 99.9% of police and traffic wardens are fine and don't give me any problems

like Chris say as long as i park senseable and leave a note where to find me every thing is ok

That's because Mrs B sweeps your house out clean every night and leaves fresh water for the piskies, like we do in Devon, so they'll make the cops 'n' wardens leave you alone.

#13 mattyoung69

mattyoung69

TMF Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

Most parking is dealt with by local councils now - there rules and legal powers are totally different to the Police so god help us when they get extra powers.

#14 D3nch

D3nch

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

any news on weather there will be endorsments on licences tho matt???

Cheers

Add

#15 ian

ian

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:32 AM

>_< I didn't go on a rant did I? I thought it was quite a balanced response!

Anyone else think Yorkshirechris was a traffic warden in a past life? :thumbsup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users