19 replies to this topic

#1 RetroRay

RetroRay

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

Evening anyone else in the same situation when you get to point where what ever you choose work wise can change your life, ive just left college and im currently deciding which path to go down but i keep changing my mind over what i want to do :| got one or two things i would like to do but its when i weigh up what i can and cant do sorta thing that confuses me :techsupport:

#2 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:52 PM

Well what do you really want out of life, money or happyness?

#3 RetroRay

RetroRay

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:57 PM

i would want to be happy but at the same time not earning a pitence im tied between something within finance or the RAF which ive been looking at for a while but if i was to get into the RAF i wouldnt have much of a life couldnt do what i wanted to but at the same time i want an exciting job :techsupport: and i know i cant have it all

#4 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

Look into your heart...whatever that means... :- :techsupport:

#5 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

You need a rewarding job that you enjoy. If not better happy and broke than rich and miserable, I've been both in life and have allways prefered to go to work with a smile :techsupport:

#6 RetroRay

RetroRay

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

its wierd i always have to be busy i hate being bored cant stand it, ive been at work in the past and been bored but ive opted to stay if i have nothin better to do at home :techsupport:

#7 Nev

Nev

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:30 AM

I left College just under a year ago, without a clue what i was going to do.

I got applying for jobs and i got a temporary role with HBOS, working in the ATM dept, got a car, spent my money on stuff and enjoyed myself.

8 months later, ive got an interview on friday for a permanent role, im the youngest in the department by quite a few years but hopefully i should nail it.

Seriously though, follow what your heart wants (cheeseville) and maybe get some sort of work in the meantime whilst you work out what to do?

#8 minimarco

minimarco

• Members
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:40 AM

my advice is to spend all your money before you die :techsupport: good luck!

#9 Southy

Southy

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: Oldham and Distrcit Mini Club

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:30 AM

I was in a similar situation a couple of years back when i left high school, i was thinking of going on and doing an apprenticeship in engineering as i always felt i was a hands on person and not academic, i ended up deciding against it mainly because the only ones i could get were silly travelling time from my house and went to college instead.
Came out of college with 3 A-Levels and decided to go to Huddersfield Uni and study Motorsport Technology, did one year of the course and felt it wasnt for me as the course wasnt 'hands on' like i was led to believe it was on the open day. My mate ended up getting me a full time job last summer in a furniture store where he worked as a delivery driver.
Just before christmas i got news off Mini Sport they had an opening in there machine shop where i had ask nearly a year ago and thats where i currently work now.....
I know you may think 'How is this gonna help me what youve said?'
Well basically its whatever you will do in life, you will always find something in which you like and want to do, you try to find job in which your doing something you like, like myself im machining parts for Mini's...

#10 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:01 AM

if you want advice about changing your mind talk dog

#11 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,039 posts
  • Local Club: Brighton

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:17 PM

Its scary isnt it!!
I left college last year, thinking that I would possibly like a job in photography, but as all sorts of photography interested me I didnt know what area. I also didnt want to go to uni. Ive never wanted to and cant see me ever wanting too (you never know, I might want to when im older). But yea, I didnt know what to do. Most of my friends were off to uni, and there were not many jobs that interested me going on at that time. I stayed working at my part time job,which I had been at around 2 years, in a leisure center looking after the children, but instead I did it full time, and was doing the supervisor role (just without supervisor pay lol :techsupport: ). After a few months of this I was getting fed up with it. Actually to the point where I thought I was going mad. The job wasnt very active in the week but on weekends we'd be rushed off our feet doing several childrens parties in a day. Anyway, started looking for a job in the paper, and also had a word with my boss. I was then lucky enough to get a job on reception to break my week up a bit and get a little bit more pay. I also saw in the paper there was a photography assistant position avalable in a photography studio just up the road from my current job. I got that job, which I was really pleased. This is where I started to work too much and I really wouldnt advise that!! Id be working in the creche or wth the children from 9-6 then some days on reception after that 6.30ish- 9 or 10. Then when i got the photography job (which was only part time) I was doing either full day weekends or just a saturday or a sunday. My dad then told me of a temporary position coming up at his work. He'd worked there for 30 years and my brother used to work there while he was in a gap year from uni. I thought, hmmm might as well go for that. I finished at the leisure center but kept the photography studio job for now. I started working at this pharmaceutical company and Im so glad I did. The job wasnt particularly hard and I got on really well with the people I worked with. I was getting really good pay, and my god I miss that now!! Even though the contract ran out last November (it was August- November) unfortunately nothing for longer came up. But it was a really good experience. I ended up giving the photography job up in end of September because it was too much with the office job too, and I had just been diagnosed with something, the doc said not to over do it. I learnt from the office job that Id prefer a more active job, and when I worked in the studio, I did enjoy it but I realised thats not the type of photography I want to be doing.

I finished both jobs and happened to be walking the dog with my dad ( like Bungle said :-) one night and we had a big talk about 'the future' and I said I still dont know what I want to do. He told me to just think of anything that interests me in the slightest and just go for it, as you never know it might be just what I was looking for or it could lead to something else. He said even if I dont think I would be good for the job, have a stab at it. I decided to apply for Sussex Police, which I had been thinking about for a while everytime my brother came home (he is a bobby) I heard his stories and I was more and more interested in it. I got a temporary job in a shop in town just to get some money in and keep me occupied, and I worked hard on my application for the police over xmas. Just got a letter back two days ago saying Ive got past the application stage (with flying colours :angel:) and will be asked for an interview in due course.

My advice is to just go for anything, you never know what it will lead to, and you might suprise yourself!! Dont be worried about it, although, I cant say that because I was so scared of the future, and now Ive got something else to be nervous about but if you want something bad enough you can get it.

Good luck and Im sorry about the essay!!! :dontgetit:

xXx

#12 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:29 PM

damn killed that with my essay :techsupport:
x

#13 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:30 PM

damn killed that with my essay :-
x

Wall of text Raz! :techsupport:

#14 wolfys_mini

wolfys_mini

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,493 posts
  • Local Club: many!

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:36 PM

i always thought i wanted to be in motorsport or in the motor industry, im currently applying for jobs at a porsche place by me. i love photography, but really dont know enough to be able to work in it lol.

all i would suggest is, decide, do you want a job? if the answer is yes, then look in the newspaper, find something that may interest you a little, apply. just because its not exactly what you want doesnt mean you cant apply and accept the job. im always looking for a new job, yeah im happy where i am, but there may be something better for me out there. dont want to miss that opportunity!

apply for a job, get the job, still look for a job in something that interests you or your qualified in. then apply for that etc. keep going along like that.

#15 *Raz*

*Raz*

PC Hands

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

damn killed that with my essay :-
x

Wall of text Raz! :techsupport:

Blah Blah :angel: Interesting text I might add :dontgetit:

i always thought i wanted to be in motorsport or in the motor industry, im currently applying for jobs at a porsche place by me. i love photography, but really dont know enough to be able to work in it lol.

you can learn!If you want something bad enough or enjoy something that much! Plus you are good at it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users