#31 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:30 PM

Well they do the mile of minis for the Italian Job.

As for the convoy, 50 mini traviling all the way together would be so cool, but as youve said not overly practical. Would be nice to try and keep in a group as much as possible though.

:)

#32 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:16 PM

And L 2 B has well over 2000 minis?!

#33 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:38 PM

id like to see 50 minis try to get round a roundabout together! small groups are good. I wouldnt mind goign with a slower one either, or mayb people should b able to change groups so we get to know each other a bit better

#34 marksmini

marksmini

Mark - Founder of TMF since 2003 - Onwards

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,429 posts
  • Name: Mark

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:36 PM

also in gorupsa it helps the quite people mix and get to no who there convoying with as you each group will have there own channel to chat by.. and of course a master channel.
there will be a list of each mnis number (on the run plaque) with the members name off the site and there real name as well as the passengers name, so everyone gets to chat to everyone, and they can find there name with ease insted of trying to rember 100 names lol

that would be fun for finding people at the camp site too or on the ring its self lol

hay even hide and seak :grin:

#35 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:51 PM

he he, i think im gona have to get the old 80 style sun strip made with Rob mini and Flappyplasticbits on it!

#36 Miniman

Miniman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 11:59 PM

lol have the drivers name on the drivers side and the pasangers on the pasangers that wuld look ace but afterwards it wuld look a bit silly no 1 wuld kno what it ment

#37 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:31 AM

my 2 penneth worth..

personally i cant see groups of upto 10 being a problem, that should give other road users enough space to work with? we're only little remember :tongue:

personally i wont be much over 60-70mph. anything above that and i'll need to stop for petrol every 5 mins.

#38 Zippeyrude

Zippeyrude

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

The fun begins with the convoy not just at the ring.

I cannot see how a convoy on the motorway is going to constitute problems with HGVs, etc.

If we do not have a plan in terms of sticking together then the whole brands hatch to nurburg run is not a RUN at all and in my opinion a waste of a potentially brilliant experience. I dont particularly want to end up with a group of 4 minis when the opportunity is there to make a fun impression across eurpoe and be in a full group of 50 classic legends.

Sure 50 cars needing fuel all at the same time may be a challenge, but i bet its gonna be a highlight of the journey. Fueling should be planned, if we do not have scheduled or predetermined stops then the convoy will split for certain.

The motorway petrol stations are large, these will cater for our members without any problem. We need to factored fueling into the route, either in advance or by some nifty radio communications. Most importantly we do not want to lose anyone because they are in a slow car and have to peel off on their own for fuel, never to manage to catch up.

Fuel stops will give us opportunities to briefly meet, chat, fuel, video tape but more importantly allow any stragglers to catch up and re-join the pack.... I cannot think of anything more dreadful than having a puncture and then not seeing the rest of the convoy for 499 miles. I would not wish to be the one tat caused the rest of my group to miss out on the convoy in such a way either.

Petrol stops should be an item on the itinery. Remembering that some of the cars will guzzle fuel and some are likely to be more eco friendly.

If we all split into seperate groups we might as well all go our seperate ways and meet at the ring whenever.

A convoy is not just 4 or 5 cars. I want to be part of a convoy not just one member of 4 or 5 cars. I dont mind cruising at 50/60 mph and stopping with anyone who has problems or needs fuel.

I dont mind being at the back of the pack with anyone who wishes to cruise.

#39 tipcat

tipcat

Pancake King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Local Club:

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:32 PM

Hear Hear! My feelings exactly... besides, with the amount of traffic normally on the motorways, a mere 50 Minis or so shouldn't make much difference! I can give my experience - the motorway fuel stops in Belgium are large - usually at least 10 pumps at each, some more. Anyone not fueling can sit and chat. Besides, like I said before - as the game plan is to stop in Belgium somewhere, we'll only be on the road for a few hours. It should be easy enough to keep a convoy going, at reasonable speeds, for only a few hours. It should only call for one (maybe, at a push, 2) fuel stops anyway. Let's hear it for the total convoy plan!
I suggest we stop somewhere when we get off the Ferry, go over the route, highlight the likeliest fuel stop, and move off as a group - give the Europeans something to talk about! Just think about this - what's French for "I spy with my little eye..." - that'll keep the little kids in the Renaults and Citroens occupied!

#40 Guest_falk_*

Guest_falk_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

i was fighting this battle for a convoy now for a very long time...

... and finally i found some soulmates!! :lol:

thx, zippeyrude and tipcat! i'm on!

by the way. the german motorway stations also are quite large. no problem fuelling though... :wink:

#41 mighty_mini

mighty_mini

Sambo Spoon

• Members
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:41 PM

Add me to your list of Pro-Convoy'ers :grin: i dnt mind cruising slower just for the fun of being part of the full Nurburg Experience.

#42 themaninthesuitcase

themaninthesuitcase

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:00 PM

here here for the all in one pack plan! cant wait to see jonny forigners face!

#43 neil_g

neil_g

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

ive got no problem with a big convoy, im all new to this so if people reckon we can do it.. lets do it! :lol:

#44 andrewinlondon

andrewinlondon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:00 PM

For what it's worth, I don't think this needs to be a raging debate.

It sounds grand and romantic, but simply trying to keep 50 minis together on a motorway is going to be a virtually impossible task. We will have punctures and breakdowns, and different people wanting to stop at different times for loo stops and petrol. We'll also have all sorts of cars and HGVs pushing in to get into the slow lane or to make exits. If someone does break down then there's mass confusion over who stops to help... (I've done convoys on the Italian Job before, and they never stay together).

So the previous ideas of travelling in groups of 5-10 will work best in my view, and will probably represent us as a convoy because the majority of us will be travelling at an average speed, I expect, of say 70mph.

Groups of 5-10 means that if one of us in the group has a problem, then the group will stop to help out - not all 50 minis! The groups can reach their own consensus on when to stop for petrol (except for prearranged big stops when everyone can join up again to keep us together).

The aim can be for the groups to try and stay together and not race off, and we can do this by agreeing a maximum and a preferred speed. This will keep the faster groups from getting heaps ahead.

The faster groups can also wait at prearranged services for the rest of the convoy groups to join them, and then all the groups can all head off together again.This gives maximum flexibility to those who want to go faster, but it also means we all regroup from time to time.

Can I add that travelling en masse at the slowest mini speed (eg 50mph) is also likely to *yellow human water*-off most of the motorway drivers than endear them to the mini. This way the HGVs and caravans etc doing 60-70mph will only have small groups of the slower (50-60mph) minis to overtake to get back into the slow lane, than a whole convoy of 50 minis.

Thoughts? :lol:

#45 Zippeyrude

Zippeyrude

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:20 PM

This isnt a raging debate at all, just an exchange of views.

Keeping 50 minis together.... difficult i agree...... impossible no. A lot will fall on luck. Lets all hope that we all have good mechanical luck and a safe journey.

If groups want to sprint off into the sunset then no one is (or can) stopping them, I think it will be very difficult to impose maximum speed limits however.

If we experience a series of breakdowns and punctures then it may not be practical for all 50 to stop at once, but consideration should be had for people who may be unlucky and a number of opportunities to rejoin the main group are necessary .

At an average speed to 70 even a muscle car would find difficulty in catching a pack up after an hour of so being stationery tending to a snapped fan belt. This situation would be little fun for the individual car and absolutely no fun for the 4 others if there was no hope for the rest of the trip of resuming contact with the full group.

The key is to establish some pitstops, let the group reform and let the convoy cruise as one again. This will let the racers stop earlier and (if they wish) wait for the cruisers whilst they munch on continental coffee and croissants :wink:

As for cruising at 50mph, if my mini fels the strain at 70, or even 60, my main concern would be not killing my car and also enjoying the experience. The other foreign cars will have to live with it and overtake me.

If you have experienced european drining you will have experienced HGVs bombing at over 80mph in dense fog so I do not think they will be hindered in any way by a bunch of minis. I cant see that having to overtake a string of chirpy classics doing 50 is likely to *yellow human water* anyone off, i reckon it will probably cheer them up.

Can we form some views on the number of chat, chill, fuel and pee stops (lets not forget the essential pee stops) we should have, where they should be located and when ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users