#1 decarcer

decarcer

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: CLUB AMIGOS DEL MINI

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:14 PM

Hi there... after an extensive search, I didn't manage to find any similar topic... :D

Hope you can help me.... :wub:

I have a fully empty Mk2 rolling shell ready to be set up for rallying.
I just want to install roll cage, harnesses, buckets, etc. Subframes are already done, with stiffer suspension, negative camber, etc...

Here you have the restoration picture gallery I am doing.
http://picasaweb.goo...AURACIONMINI850

I’ve been told that at this stage is worth to spent some time strengthening the shell, for instance at the subframe bolting areas, or where the roll cage is going to be bolted, and some other places.

I would be glad if you can make a comprehensive list of the areas to be attended for this purpose, and how to perform it.... Any suggestions or pictures?

Thanks a lot in advance and sorry about my rusty English.... :wub:

Guillermo
Madrid
SPAIN

Edited by decarcer, 28 January 2008 - 06:16 PM.

#2 LilacLilly

LilacLilly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: M.A.D MINI SOCIETY / ABERYSTWYTH

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:23 PM

ill try to get some pics on here of the other halfs mini, that was professionally set up for rally. As far as we can tell the roll cage has been welded in and rather than it being welded straight to the inner arches, a plate was welded over the arch on the inside and the cage welded to that, but i also believe the cage had to be slightly modified. the fuses have also gone inside with all the obvious things needed for a rally car and a supm guard fitted. Id find a way to make sure the harness bolts are tight as thats going to protect you!

#3 decarcer

decarcer

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Local Club: CLUB AMIGOS DEL MINI

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:19 PM

ill try to get some pics on here of the other halfs mini, that was professionally set up for rally. As far as we can tell the roll cage has been welded in and rather than it being welded straight to the inner arches, a plate was welded over the arch on the inside and the cage welded to that, but i also believe the cage had to be slightly modified. the fuses have also gone inside with all the obvious things needed for a rally car and a supm guard fitted. Id find a way to make sure the harness bolts are tight as thats going to protect you!

Hi there LilacLilly...

thanks for your response... regarding the roll cage, I am alreaddy aware of how to perform. What I would like to know if beside the roll cage, are there any other areas at the rollin shell needed to be reinforced? like subframe bolting areas, or similar?

Thanks in advance

Guillermo

#4 gixxerpower

gixxerpower

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Local Club: minis & oatcakes

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

hello,
on mine the floor pan has been reinforced with plate where the seat subframe mounts bolt through. the harness eye bolts also have some reinforcment where they bolt through too. the tunnel has been welded were it meets the pan to but not sure if this was standard or if they were spot welded on the production line. rear arches have been reinforced for the cage as have all other mounting points.

theres probably more but its all masked up for painting now so cant see inside.

don't think my sub frame mounting area has been reiforced but it does use solid mounts.

Edited by gixxerpower, 12 February 2008 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users