thevinnyofoz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hi all,

Although I have a little electric welding expecience I still fancy having a go at doing the welding on my mini, it needs a fair few jobs doing such as wings, A-panels, front and rear vanance and maybe the floor ?

My question is where can I get hold of "how to" guides for these kind of jobs ? Basicly I want to know if it is worth my time learning to get these jobs done myself or to blow a fortune at the garage ?

Cheers

Vini

#2 LilacLilly

LilacLilly

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Local Club: M.A.D MINI SOCIETY / ABERYSTWYTH

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

one of the mini magazines either mini mag or mini world did a long special last year on how to step by step guid replace pannels and a how to guide on welding the pannels into place and just as importantly how to remove the pannels! i have got them so should you want me 2 send them to you ill find the ones ive got and post them. email ur address to [email protected] or get it to me some other way!

#3 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:16 PM

There is a book out there called something like Mini Restoration Manual that's pretty old but quite good.

It's got step by step guides to changing most panels etc only black and white grainyish pictures tho.

Worth adding to your Mini library tho :kiss:

Mini Restoration Manual at Amazon

Oh it's Haynes! :D

#4 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Local Club: NWMC

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

one of the mini magazines either mini mag or mini world did a long special last year on how to step by step guid replace pannels and a how to guide on welding the pannels into place and just as importantly how to remove the pannels! i have got them so should you want me 2 send them to you ill find the ones ive got and post them. email ur address to [email protected] or get it to me some other way!

can i have a copy please :kiss: ? :D ?

#5 thevinnyofoz

thevinnyofoz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

Many thanks for the help guys

:kiss:)

#6 thevinnyofoz

thevinnyofoz

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:33 PM

Oh and lilaclilly, i´ve pm´d ya. Many thanks for the kind offer.

#7 brianmini

brianmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Local Club: MiniClan

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

Good thing with the web is just hunt and hunt and hunt....

i've found mig-welding.co.uk a pretty good site, some folk on the forum in there posting about mini's specifically too.

Then after days/weeks of getting square eye's swotting up about welding.... have a go! You'll be bricking it for a couple of hours, buggering up regularly... but end of the day do the bits that won't be obviously visable first, gives you a good place to practice! End of the day if the welds are no good just grind them off and try again.

I was using a gas-less Mig outside, so my welds were pretty crappy, but it was my only choice as i only had a drive, after a bit of practice, a bit of banging welds to check their strength, grinding, re-welding etc... i did an MOT quality job, and it even looks pretty good.

But if you can weld in a garage rather than outside its way preferable, now i've got a garage i'm looking forward to the old weld-a-thon thats about to commence.... when i buy a new welder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users