2 replies to this topic

#1 skye

skye

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:27 PM

Recently bought a fibre glass front end and the corresponding fibreglass panels. I am looking to bond the a panels to the front end.
What is the best method to do this?
Would bonding the a panels on first affect the lining up of the overall front end?
what would be the best method to then attatch all of it up onto the mini?
Any help or advice would be greaty appreciated!
thanks skye >_<

#2 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:22 PM

If it was me, I'd fit the front end so it's where you want it, and then line up the A panels, clamp them in place with plastic G clamps and duck tape, then remove the whole front end, with A panels still attached. I'd grind down the inside of both the front panel and the A panels about 4 inches either side of the join with a 36 grit softpad on a grinder, then apply a generous amount of fibreglass matting to the area, all the time keeping it clamped in the correct position til it's dry.
On the outside, once the matting is dry, vee out the join with the grinder and softpad,and apply fibreglass filler. sand this down til it's slightly lower than you want the final shape, and apply normal body filler, followed by stopper to get the shape. If you're worried about the strength, you could put metal bracing pieces under the matting on the back, as in apply a layer or so of matting, stick the metal across the gap, and apply more matting over the top. Make sure you use alloy or stainless steel, as mild steel will rust and expand, thus after time will misshape the area.

#3 skye

skye

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

Thankyou very much for the advice! :)
skye

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users