Photo

How Do I Smooth The Boot Off And The Bummper Rims ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts
  • Local Club: NWMC

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

howdy, when get the welder ill be wanting to smooth the boot and get rid of the rim / lip on the front and back bumper how would i do it ? is their any guids to this thanks :)

Edited by frankiebateman, 31 January 2008 - 12:02 PM.

#2 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

try looking up one of panelbeaterpeters projects, im sure he had a quick guide to deseaming the rear valance. the boot you can either cut the recess out and weld in a plate, smooth over and paint or just ram it full of filler... if you are planning to learn to weld I imagine the bootlid could be a good learning project for you.

:)

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,419 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

howdy, when get the welder ill be wanting to smooth the boot and get rid of the rim / lip on the front and back bumper how would i do it ? is their any guids to this thanks :)

You can just cut / drill off the front lip. The rear is more complex as the lip is also holding half the car together!

Posted Image

:w00t: OMG Frankie - you didn't need to trim it back that far !!!!

( just spotted you have no dizzy - cover the hole up to keep the wet 'n grot out )

Edited by Ethel, 31 January 2008 - 12:10 PM.

#4 Bean

Bean

Queen of 'shoppin, Voted Miss TMF 2011

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts
  • Name: Jean

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:07 PM

The normal way the smoothy boot is done, is to weld a metal plate on ... otherwise you will be using the world's supply of filler!

The deseaming is a bit more tricky tho...

the front lip, i think you can just grind off, as it's not structural.

The rear bumper lip is the tricky one. You have to work inch by inch... grind, weld, grind weld etc.. :)

#5 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:08 PM

try looking up one of panelbeaterpeters projects, im sure he had a quick guide to deseaming the rear valance. the boot you can either cut the recess out and weld in a plate, smooth over and paint or just ram it full of filler... if you are planning to learn to weld I imagine the bootlid could be a good learning project for you.

:)

Just having a look now, and ill have a go at cutting bit off welding and doing it bit by bit :w00t:

Edit found it ..

Edited by frankiebateman, 31 January 2008 - 12:09 PM.

#6 frankiebateman

frankiebateman

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:12 PM

howdy, when get the welder ill be wanting to smooth the boot and get rid of the rim / lip on the front and back bumper how would i do it ? is their any guids to this thanks :D

You can just cut / drill off the front lip. The rear is more complex as the lip is also holding half the car together!

Posted Image

:w00t: OMG Frankie - you didn't need to trim it back that far !!!!

:) :w00t: :errr: i sliped and all of a sudden poww the whole front end fell off :thumbsup: lol

The normal way the smoothy boot is done, is to weld a metal plate on ... otherwise you will be using the world's supply of filler!

The deseaming is a bit more tricky tho...

the front lip, i think you can just grind off, as it's not structural.

The rear bumper lip is the tricky one. You have to work inch by inch... grind, weld, grind weld etc.. :thumbsup:

okies thanks bean :w00t: im sure i wont f**k up i **think** :ermm:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users