39 replies to this topic

#1 rtidbdtr

rtidbdtr

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:31 PM

Sorry im sure this has been posted before but cant find it anywhere.

Firstly what do people think of them? I'm a bit undecided to be honest, in a way i think they look really good but i'm also undecided (as with my exhaust) if it looks a bit chav.

Also wondered if anybody knows the laws surrounding them. Dont want to leave them tinted if they're illegal

#2 ryan69

ryan69

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

i think minis look a bit silly with tints does look a bit chav :grin:

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

I want to pink tint petals windows. An that propper pink not this tacky red stuff..

#4 Stacey

Stacey

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:43 PM

I would steer well clear of anything on the front windows unless you want untold hassle from the police, fines and maybe even points, oh and some insurance policies will be invalid with them on too.

It can look nice when it is done properly and light, but working for a window fil distributer, I know the hassle it can cause. Its been made illigal (well not technically, but very hard to do it legally) for the fronts to be done, and I personaly think it looks a bit silly with the backs done but the fronts clear.

If the back half is light enough it looks ok, but as you are driving and want the benefits, it seems silly to spend the money getting it done for the sake of it.

HTH

#5 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

i like them :)

just not black out!!

keep to 40%ish!

#6 ryan69

ryan69

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 02:59 PM

just not black out!!

keep to 40%ish!

I agree, fully blacked out windows do look silly. If it was only half tinted it would stop parts of the interior fading.

#7 MiniMoi

MiniMoi

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:03 PM

I would do just a light tint up to 25-30% at least here that is even legal on the windscreen. Because you see them a lot that have the back blacked out but the front clear that looks a bit silly if you ask mee.

MiniMoi

#8 Stacey

Stacey

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

A 35% or 50% will help to stop the fading and sun glare but its not really going to help you as the driver.

Its good for that, its just the look, what are you after?

#9 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:11 PM

im not sure of the exact legalities now but i know its ilegal totint anythign foward of the B pillar. and the rear sides have to b lighter than the rear window

#10 Stacey

Stacey

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

Your pretty much right there.

The fronts you have to have 70% of visible light coming through the glass, most window films are a 50% at the lightest and glass stops up to 10% of light on its own so it is pretty much illegal to tint the fronts. You were right about the rears as well.

It would probably be more hassle then its worth to be honest with you, especially if your a young driver in an already modded car, if you dont want to make things harder for yourself, I would be inclined to leave them clear.

#11 themanlegend

themanlegend

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:38 PM

Light to medium is ok... but get a proper company to fit them for you... I've heard nightmare stories and with the curved rear window on a mini its a pig to fit. Also when the sun comes out they can bubble if you havent done it properly.

The best thing to do would buy some proper (new or used) tinted windows that have the tint already, rather than something applied to them to appear tinted.

TML

#12 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:47 PM

Also I've heard of people breaking in simply because they cant see into the car, and get curious!

#13 rtidbdtr

rtidbdtr

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

Firstly thanks for all the help

Basically i've brought a mini with it allready done. I've got a feeling they are to dark and are possibly illegal. They are done professionally so no bubbles, peeling, cracks or anything but as i said i'm a bit worried they look chav. Still kinda undecided what to do :( I'll be annoyed if i take them out, then decide they looked better, i'll also obviously be annoyed if i get stopped by the police.

Posted Image

This my car but they dont look quite as dark as that in real life

#14 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:53 PM

I think they look good as your car is a dark colour anyway.

I'd leave them on, or atleast until Bobby Policeman tells you otherwise.

#15 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:16 PM

30% tint is the max you can go on any window. Ask Mercedes Benz about one of their cars they had to recall because it never met the regulations. It was on a programme like Panorama or something like that. When I was on www.mg-rover.org there was a good thread about all the legalities of tinting. I will see if I can find it and put a link up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users