7 replies to this topic

#1 01smartc

01smartc

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:42 PM

Hi all, just a couple of quick questions... Im starting to repair all the body panels on my mini.. its been blasted then red oxide primered!

1) What filler should i use? ... And where can i get a large amount of it from not the tiny tubes from halfrauds!

2) What primer should i spray the repair with to protect it for the future while im doing the other parts?

Obviously i dont want to do all this work then rust come bk! ... so far all i have done is repair one door frame and srayed it with sum hammerite rust prevention primer... i just want sum advice for the rest of the car!

Cheers Chris!

#2 AdamMk1

AdamMk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

i use stuff called Big easy, comes in a big yellow tin get it from most automotive factors. Sikkens primer is good but at the moment im using Mira or Mipa and thats also good, as for trying to protect it primer isnt waterproof,so it will last a few days maybe more but left for a long time rust will start to appear. it will only be surface rust mind, so just knock it off with some 240 grit and reprime thn paint.

#3 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

Big Easy is rubbish >_< sorry. For a bulk type polyester filler you want Upol Fantastic, it's the best filler available at the moment, plus it's incredibly light. I'd use that for the bulk of the repair and to get it 90% right, then go over that with Evercoat Rage stopper to sort out any pin holes and final finishing. If you can't get Evercoat Rage, Upol Topstop Gold is fine. All these are available from any decent body repair factors, look in the yellow pages. Use etch primer on any bare metal, and then apply any primer you want. Apply the topcoat as soon as possible after prepping primer, as it's porous and will soak up moisture, which if painted over, can cause micro blistering to the paint.

#4 Sam Walters

Sam Walters

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:14 PM

im currently useing upol the one in the black tin, easy sand, i have a problem with it as its so cold, its a little hard to work in with temps 0-15 degree c. the stuff panel beater peter is talking about is aprently good i think were talking about the same things. and it can be used in the cold.

#5 AdamMk1

AdamMk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:46 PM

haha no worries peter, in what way is it rubbish though?:S ive never had any problems with it at all and i have never heard anyone else says it is rubbish, been using it years. peter if you could put filler in you wouldnt get pin holes >_< (only joking about the last coment by the way:)) i finish with dolphin glaze if there is any pin holes then prime also have the brown stopper stuff forgotht he name now. i have never used that other stuff before so cannot comment.
Adam

#6 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

>_< fair enough. It's very heavy, you tend to get lots of pinholes, and it's not particularly nice to sand, tends to be a bit "crumbly". Dolphin glaze is apparently good, although I must say I've never used it myself. By brown stuff, I assume you mean the 3M acrylic 1k stopper in a tube? it's okay for very minor marks, but if you don't prime over it, it sinks in time.

#7 AdamMk1

AdamMk1

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

thats it just could not remember:) got sidetracked by the potato im eating, it tends to crumble when its not gone off properly and the area that it is being applied to isnt well prepped ive found, im goin to ask at my supplier for a small sample of the upol stuff sounds like good stuff. by the way do you work for a supplier? your knowlegde of filler is quite.... >_< exciting.

#8 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

Haha no I'm just a filler nerd.. >_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users