• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

hi i have just got myself a 1993 mini city
before i pick it up the previos owner is putting it through a mot for me
it has been in dry storage since its last mot 3 years and 6 miles ago

it has come back as a failure
over the weekend the gararge are going to sand and paint subframe for it to pass mot
douse this sound right

#2 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

No this doesn't sound right, if a subframe fails it's mot it'll be because it's rotton, surface rust doesn't come into it so painting over a rust hole will not make it pass an MOT

#3 taafey

taafey

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:13 PM

No this doesn't sound right, if a subframe fails it's mot it'll be because it's rotton, surface rust doesn't come into it so painting over a rust hole will not make it pass an MOT

its the mot tester who will be doing the work his words were there is a bit of corrosion on the subframe but not much to worry about he will sand subframe down and paint it

the price of all the work is on the previos owner the price to me stays the same as it was agreed 800 wih a mot

#4 mini_turbo_pete

mini_turbo_pete

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

its the mot tester who will be doing the work his words were there is a bit of corrosion on the subframe but not much to worry about he will sand subframe down and paint it

the price of all the work is on the previos owner the price to me stays the same as it was agreed 800 wih a mot

Sounds a bit iffy to me...

#5 minimadjonesy

minimadjonesy

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,417 posts
  • Local Club: SMAC

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

sounds seriously dodgy to me! if the rear subframe failed then there must be a hole or excessive corrosion - if it's just surface rust then it should pass! I'd get it checked independantly when you receive it

#6 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

I'd get it checked by an MOT tester you and the seller are new too. If the seller puts up a fight or argument, walk away.

#7 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

I'd get it checked by an MOT tester you and the seller are new too. If the seller puts up a fight or argument, walk away.

Very wise words ...

If a subframe is an MOT failure, a coat of paint will not fix it

#8 taafey

taafey

Learner Driver

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:35 PM

Very wise words ...

If a subframe is an MOT failure, a coat of paint will not fix it

HI THANKS FOR THE ADVICE WHENT TO SEE MOTER TODAY .HE AS SAID IT FAILED MOT ON WIPPER AND FRONT BRAKES HAD SEASED (BEEN STOD FOR NEAR 3 YEARS SINCE LAST MOT)WHRN PREVIOS OWNER SAID FOR HIM TO FIX THESE PROBS HE TOLD HIM THERE WAS SOME RUST ON THE SUBFRAME BUT NOT MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT SO HE SAID HE COULD SAND DOWN AND PAIT SUBFRAME THAT IT WOULDEDT TAKE TO LONG .THE PREVIOS OWNER OKED IT ASND THAT IS W HATS HAPPANIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users