7 replies to this topic

#1 shashora

shashora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hey just plan on painting my subframe on my day off tomorrow and i have a spray gun and aircompressor that i havent used yet. I was scared id screw it up on the body so im just going to do the subframes.

From what ive read in the forums hammerite is what i should spray the subframe with, is this right?? Because ive got some plain matte black paint that i bought a while ago from a auto paint shop, that i wouldnt mind using....

I am goign to just sand it back and respray..

Just wondering thoguh, if i do take the subframe back with sand paper and theres no rust can i just spray from there or do i need to put primer on??

Also if i do take it back theres rust so i take it back to bare metal, do i then spray dioxidizer then with etch primer then primer then with a couple of coats of watever paint im using??

Sorry i know im a newb just dont want to stuff it up and put the subframe in and have rust a month later.. :thumbsup:

#2 bakker110

bakker110

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:49 AM

I've just sprayed my subframe with hammerite, i did have it shotblasted first but only because it was filty. I sprayed it from bare metal and its fine. Hammerite doesn't really need a primer.
I'm no paint guy so don't take my word but mine look fine (read the tin on hammerite too) and i doubt they'll rust anytime soon.

#3 England_expects

England_expects

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Local Club: A-Serious & BOGMOG

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

If you are going to use the black auto paint, I'd recommend shotblasting and etch primer if you are looking for decent longevity and a good shine.

I used to use Hammerite, painted over a degreased subframe which usually gave good results and is pretty hardwearing. Don't know if there's a better alternative since though?

#4 morley

morley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

I'm gonna be paitning my front subframe aswell soon, i'm gonna give it a few coats with red oxide paint and then some black hamerite hopefully it'll last alot longer!

#5 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 10 February 2008 - 08:37 PM

Hi..I had mine sandblasted and I used redoxide and grey primer and a black high gloss finish..................

Posted Image

Posted Image

................. :)

#6 shashora

shashora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 10:28 PM

Wow lookin good guys!
I also just found a thread if anyone else wanting to spray the subframe needs a hand :)
http://www.mpdesign....ng/painting.htm
scroll down and there is a part on subframe

#7 shashora

shashora

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:09 AM

Ok final question...

If i spray the subframe with my black matte paint i already have
I take it back then use dioxidiser on it
then i spray with primer then i
can spray paint...>? is that correct

And final final lol

when mixing do i need to mix dioxidiser with anything?
Also for paint and primer how much do i have to mix with thinners and how do u know??

Really appreciate your guys help : )

#8 Scott.Tamson

Scott.Tamson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts
  • Local Club: None..on here alottt though :)

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Quick question needing answerd, as ive got my back subby out the now and its a good day, should i take it back to bare metal before painting ??.

Thanks
Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users