2 replies to this topic

#1 01smartc

01smartc

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi all just wondering.. i have sprayed the first coat of etch primer onto my doors and i ahve a few questions bout cleaning the gun after

1) Wht do i used? (Thinners)
2) Do i need to clean it between coats?
3) What can i do with the paint left in it? (can it be reused)

Cheers Chris

#2 Senile Old Git

Senile Old Git

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Local Club: Rutland Minis

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:29 PM

1) Clean your gun with the cheapest thinners you can buy
2) Between coats put the gun down and leave the paint in the gun, it will be fine, so there is no need to clean the gun out between coats. Unless you intend to recoat a panel a few hours forward
3) When finished, I personally dispose of the remaining paint that is left in the gun, if it is 2K paint, it will have a hardner in it anyway, so it cannot be stored otherwise it will go rather hard! If it is cellulose I would think you could store it in a tightly closed can for reusage

Never leave paint in a spray gun overnight for example.

Edited by Senile Old Git, 11 February 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#3 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

Yeah you get gunwash thinners especially for the purpose. Otherwise pretty much as David says above, but I always put leftover paint in a pot to harden before throwing it away, makes it easier to dispose of. Obviously this only works with solids/lacquer. Always strip the gun completely after use, inc the fluid tip, air cap and needle, cleaning the parts carefully, and being very careful not to drop/damage any parts, as if you have a good quality gun, they are easily damaged irreversibly if maltreated. Never leave thinners/paint in a gun over night, as it can damage the seals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users