22 replies to this topic

#1 blue redtop

blue redtop

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

hi all ive just gone and got myself a sand blaster and wondered if anyone knows if there is a special type of sand i should use or will any do?(like b and q sand).
i have no idea .
cheers

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

There are all shorts of different grades just like abrasive paper.

#3 79flyingturd

79flyingturd

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 14 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

Hello,

The sand you need is Oven Baked if i remember correctly, the reason i don't quite remember is because i wanted to delete the whole 'Mini Estate Sand Blasting' episode from my head.........

I totally demolished my brothers workshop, it gets everywhere, you cannot get rid of it.....ever, it was the worst job i have ever undertaken.

Basically, i suggest you get someone else to do it.

but it does get rid of the rust :blink:

#4 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:28 AM

we have special a blaster at work uses specific "blast media" maybe serching google for that would return results?

#5 blue redtop

blue redtop

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

cheers for reply's.
ill google it and see what happends.

im not sandblasting my whole mini. just my wella wheels because the owner before me hand painted them and there covered in runs,
ive had enough of using nitromores paint stripper stuff. been there dont that. never again
cheers

#6 nurseholliday

nurseholliday

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

There is special sand for blasting, and like said previously it comes in different grades. You need to talk to someone about the correct grade required to strip the paint but not harm the metal. Anything too coarse and gritty could cause imperfections, and anything too fine could end up taking hours and resulting in a lot of fine sand everywhere. I'd advise doing it in a purpose built/bought blasting chamber, and not just in a corner of your workshop/garage. A small compressor does wonders to remove sand after blasting, I'm pretty sure Machine Mart sell a suitable compressor with air hose kit for about £25

#7 Dougie998

Dougie998

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Local Club: No club yet!

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:55 PM

Ive bought myself a sand blasting kit recently also. I did a bit of research into blasting media and I agree there are lots of different grades and materials but only if you want to pay upwards of £10 per 5kg bag. I use Kiln dried sand from B&Q at £2.50-£3.00 for a big bag 25kg I think.
As has been said before it does get everywhere so if your going do it, do it outside where it can just blow away with the wind (eventually) otherwise, as mentioned before, you can get a blastimng cabinet (or you could make one, MDF and perspex).

#8 blue redtop

blue redtop

• Members
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:08 PM

thanks for all the info.
i think ill get the sand from b and q to. if it works it works.
ive got all the gear at work and a choice of 3 air compressors.
and also a big empdy car park on a sunday :P .
cheers

#9 Grimmy@JHE

Grimmy@JHE

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Local Club: tmf

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

two man tent? to blast in a meen?

#10 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

The best media for blasting cars is walnut shell. They don't heat up with friction and cause warping, and are great at getting rid of rust.

#11 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

see first time I heard that I thought it was a joke! Im told its not though.. :P

#12 nurseholliday

nurseholliday

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:32 AM

The best media for blasting cars is walnut shell. They don't heat up with friction and cause warping, and are great at getting rid of rust.

It is technically the "best" but it will take you hours. It struggles to remove surface rust unless you get really close to the material.

#13 Dougie998

Dougie998

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Local Club: No club yet!

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:30 AM

Tis true you can use walnut shells for blasting shells without damage, but it would be no use on steel wheels. It would take you forever. Sand works fine and theres no chance of it damaging the wheels plus its cheap as chips.

#14 DaveRob

DaveRob

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:09 AM

hi all ive just gone and got myself a sand blaster and wondered if anyone knows if there is a special type of sand i should use or will any do?(like b and q sand).
i have no idea .
cheers

Please do NOT use ordinary 'sand'. It will screw your lungs up as the silicon released when you blast proper sand gets into your lungs then you die horribly, horribly... as they say. Although people say 'sand' blasing its a special media or as others have said here its blast media. It comes in many forms and their are lots of types for different applications. Walnut shels, plastic media even chilled iron for use in cabinets...... Buy proper media...it will save your life.

Just my 2p's worth

#15 Piddling Kid

Piddling Kid

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:25 PM

what we have always used at work is kiln dried sand from rigeons pretty cheap aswel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users