#1 M1N1C00P3R1275

M1N1C00P3R1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Local Club: Minifinity

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:09 AM

I cant find anywhere local to get rubber for my sunroof and so im not really botherd as i dont like it any way, its a glass sun roof not webasto(cloth one) or whatever its called, i want to get rid of it and not sure what to do when its out to fill in the hole. i could use sheet steel shape it weld it then smooth the top of the roof with filler i could even glue metal in im not sure about glue but hmm... i dont know?

any way anyone done this themselfs or know anyone that has ?

any help is greatly appreceiated!

thanks............. :wub: :blink:

#2 camp freddy

camp freddy

Definitely Not Camp Or A Freddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts
  • Local Club: Wreake Mini Wanderers

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:10 AM

I cant find anywhere local to get rubber for my sunroof and so im not really botherd as i dont like it any way, its a glass sun roof not webasto(cloth one) or whatever its called, i want to get rid of it and not sure what to do when its out to fill in the hole. i could use sheet steel shape it weld it then smooth the top of the roof with filler i could even glue metal in im not sure about glue but hmm... i dont know?

any way anyone done this themselfs or know anyone that has ?

any help is greatly appreceiated!

thanks............. :wub: :blink:

the easiest thing to do would be is too remove it and bond
on either a glassfibre or cardon roof skin.

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:44 AM

think i might be tempted to go for a carbon roof skin :blink:

#4 jbeenz

jbeenz

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:06 PM

MMMM carbon skin.

its really tricky to weld up the hole, particularly with the mini roof being all curvy. I had a KP61 Toyota starlet "S" Rally car (did the UK get starlets?) that had its welded over, it never looked right, especially as the condensation would form differently over the two thickness-es of metal on the roof, and show the outline of the sunroof.

#5 In-a-mini

In-a-mini

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local Club: smag (southend mini action group)

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:27 PM

at work i have welded up a few on 911's which i butt weld into place and then panel beat back smooth this takes alot of time once done you wouldnt know but is so much work. I have had a few friends that bonded carbon roof skins on one did crack around the edge as the shell does flex a little. if you make a feature of the weave would look really cool i was going to air brush around the outside as if it had torn showing the weave then clear coat the lot.

Edited by In-a-mini, 15 February 2008 - 08:28 PM.

#6 Caer

Caer

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

I'm afraid I can't help you with what to do about the hole, but I am after a replacement sunroof glass for my mini - is yours the standard mini sunroof or a later retrofit? If the former, would you be willing to sell and post? >_<

#7 mike49

mike49

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 02:56 PM

all i can say is jolly good luck! And if you can get the whole sunroof out without cutting it or anything, ill send you a fiver

#8 M1N1C00P3R1275

M1N1C00P3R1275

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Local Club: Minifinity

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

I'm afraid I can't help you with what to do about the hole, but I am after a replacement sunroof glass for my mini - is yours the standard mini sunroof or a later retrofit? If the former, would you be willing to sell and post? :P

i think i could sell it but postage would be expencive as i live in channel islands so duno about price and i might have just found someone who will sell me new rubber for it

#9 Big Sam

Big Sam

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

I was also looking at getting rid of my sunroof and i thought about getting a fibreglass one from http://tdkracing.co.uk/ to go with the fiberglass removable front end(with rem bonnet), doors and boot lid. Those were easy however i havent got a clue how i would bond a roof on!

All this for a 998cc producing 65bhp at the crank running on 10"s!

#10 Caer

Caer

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

I'm afraid I can't help you with what to do about the hole, but I am after a replacement sunroof glass for my mini - is yours the standard mini sunroof or a later retrofit? If the former, would you be willing to sell and post? :P

i think i could sell it but postage would be expencive as i live in channel islands so duno about price and i might have just found someone who will sell me new rubber for it

Okey dokey - I can get a brand new glass with all the housing bits for £120, so if the postage is really expensive I may just go for that option. Thanks anyway :xxx:

#11 Merryck

Merryck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

Where is it that you can buy the new sunroof from?

i've broken mine and need a new one, can't seem to find it anywhere!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users