15 replies to this topic

#1 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:24 PM

Im expecting to finish the shell of my pickup in the next 3 weeks, so i need to start thinking about paint. Im going to have the pickup black with a white roof and im going to spray it at my bodywork evening class.
I just dont have a clue how much to expect to pay for the actual paint. Anybody know how much its going to cost??

Thanks

Chris

#2 roberts

roberts

Optimise Automotive

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 10:46 PM

i paid 600 for a full re-spray of my saloon!

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:17 PM

Depends on what type of paint you use, but celly is about 30 quid a litre, then you have thinners, primer etc...

In total I spent 160 notes on the paint for petal.

I've also been tempted to try the latest water based paints, as I have been told that the "going off" time is now less, and may not need a heated booth. Plus the finish is much better than with celly..

The other option is 2 Pack but that's not for home use.

#4 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:47 AM

Will you be spraying it at colage with a booth ?
because if so it would be best to use 2K or 2 pack paint , but remember , cheapest is not allways best , we did my "flame red" in comercial paint , shines like hell and has never been polished.
dont use cellelose if you can help it , they only used it in the old days because there was nothing better available at the time ,
dont use water based paint if you can help it either as it was only made to be kind to the enviroment not good for cars .
the stuff on our mixing machine is £75 a litre (RRP) mixed , we charge it out on a job at around £50 per litre.

#5 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:43 AM

I will be spraying at a collage with a booth and all the fresh air equpment that you need to spray 2 pack. The teacher said that 2 pack is that they usually use so i'll go along with that. So how many litres will i need to cover the mini?
Ive also been wondereing about somethng to protect the underside. It was originally covered in zibart over the paint which really did more harm than good but when i was working on a van production line last year the vans had a rubbery stuff with an orange peel look under the paint. It looked like good stuff but my teacher didnt know anything about it. Do you guys use anything like this?

Thanks

Chris

#6 JamesM

JamesM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:24 AM

Chris, sorry off subject for a moment, but do you want me to put anything in the club mag about your stock of parts for sale, see you at a club meet or something?

Anyway see you later

#7 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:42 AM

dont worry about it James, i quite like my haud and im not really sure what i need for the pickup yet. Cheers anyway

#8 JamesM

JamesM

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:05 PM

Ok mate

#9 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Local Club: ERC / SMOA

Posted 13 April 2005 - 03:14 PM

this rubbery orange peely substance you speak of will be one of two things.... gravel guard or under coat.... they are both paintable. :cheese:

mine is done in undercoat. I'm not painting it though.

Posted Image

Al

#10 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

ooo that looks good Al*! So whats the difference between undercoat and gravel guard? That looks like exactly the sort of thing i want, need to make sure my baby doesnt rust out again!!

#11 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

undercoat is meant for the underside of a car whereas gravel guard is meant to do the lower sections of the doors/quarters etc. ( will still work underneath though ) gravel guard drys a little harder but also costs about 3 times as much..... I looked really deep into it and figured out that for the money and the fact that theres very minimal differences, undercaot was the way to go.

Al

#12 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:07 PM

I allways brush on red oxide primer (if its good enuf for girders) and then schutz all over the under body , under the arches and sills i use stone-chip (anti)paint as this is overpaintable .
note ! , some overpaintable underbody protection is porous so has to be painted to protect , if you dont you might as well glue on a giant sponge
Note !, schutz is only good at protecting if it is put over a good surface , over rust and flakes it just creates rusty damp pockets that rust away even faster (cowboys use this to hide all sorts of C**p (fiberglass, pop-riveted patches ETC )
I even saw someone use a carpet tile covered in schuts over a hole in a floor !

#13 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:01 PM

So what exactly is schutz and anti stone-chip? Are they the same as the undercoat on Al*'s mini?
Is undercoat the brand Al* or does it have a full name?

#14 TimS

TimS

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:12 PM

anyone have any idea of how many litres it takes for so many coats on a mini

#15 Al*

Al*

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:17 PM

undercoat is the name of the product.... the brand i used was "Bodycoat" Just go to your local auto place and ask them if they carry any paintable ruberised automotive undercoating. The stuff I used was in individual cans (aresol spary cans) and it took me 9 cans for 2 coats. for me a can was $7.00 a piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users