#1 jimbo b

jimbo b

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Local Club: the three tuns

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:24 PM

i would like to fit a mk1 style bootlid to my 1974 mini 998, is this possible/easy to do. Also is it possible to fit an early wavy style grill to my car.

#2 jayare

jayare

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

The boot aperture is the same right through production, so MK1 bootlid can be fitted to later shells, but as the tooling got older it wore, so the fit of a new bootlid on an old shell isn't always as good, but spending a bit of time lining it up will pay off. Wavy grilles are available for both the MK1 style 'moustache' grille and the later MK2 on grille shapes. You could either fit the later shape centre with your existing surrounds, or fit a MK1 moustache surround, but to do this you will need to remove the lip on the front of the bonnet that the upper surround fits to.
JR

#3 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

Attached File  004__Small_.JPG   26.12K   18 downloadsAttached File  005__Small_.JPG   42.58K   30 downloads I have fitted a genuine old stock but new mk1 bootlid to my mk3 mini and it fitted ok had trouble with the rubber seal though (to hard)

#4 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:28 PM

Jonny, did you fit the seal to the bootlid or to the car? I tried the type that fits on the car with a mk3 bootlid, wouldn't have any of it! had to use the original one held on with 26 clips! ;)

#5 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

HI ya pete I fitted the seal to the bootlid with the said clips it wouldn't have it (new seal) tried the car fitted seal no go as well had some soft rubber seal at work like a D section and this worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users