595 replies to this topic

#16 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:51 PM

Heres a pic of the gearbox. I assembled this myself and to be perfectly honest, when i took the original gearset apart it was a bit dawntin. But, and this is a big BUT, it wasnt that hard. I read the Mini World "Keep Your Mini Alive" magazine and it was very clear with some good simple tips. All bearing were replaced so hopefully itll take the 140bhp im gunna throw at it.

Attached Files

#17 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 April 2005 - 10:43 PM

your Mini is gorgeous!!!

Can't wait to get back on 10's with the Clubby now, they are by far the best wheels to be having.

You want to be careful of that 'box though, there's a dodgy gear near the speedo drive! :wink:

#18 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,587 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:36 PM

ohhhh great pics, cheers.

Can I have your min? please?? lol

#19 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:44 AM

Old Skool u hero i want ur car!!!!!!!!!!
How old are you? Must be minted too have all that class stuff or just know a lot of people in the right places lol.

By far my favebit is those wheels they are so so so sweet.
But all round the car looks great. With that engine somebody's guna be havin some serious fun!

Spend the days cleanin it an the evenings hunting boy racers!!!!!!! LOL

#20 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:59 AM

When your ready for twin 1.3/4's give us a shout, I have 3 pairs ( lh/rh ) off V8 Rovers in the garage...

Building a pair up for my 1400, may seem overkill but hey, nothing ventured...

#21 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:41 PM

Im a 19 year old plumber so that helps occasionaly with the finances :cheese: :grin:
Arent the carbs from the v8 slightly different. Mind you, why stop with the cabs, why not put the whole engine in!!! :nugget: U know it makes scence :wink:

#22 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

These are the valves. As you can see the valves on the right(race) are much bigger than the ones on the left. They are 37 and 31mm. They are a bit gruby but when Ive polished them and finished the head it will hopefully be top notch.

Attached Files

#23 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

When you say the valves on the right, from which side u looking?!

#24 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:16 PM

This is a pic of the 998 before I decided to rip it out. I was halfway through fitting my modded 12G295 when i noticed a grove about 15mm wide down the bore. It was obvious what caused it so I frew a bit of a benny and frew a few tools.
The wiring looms comin out too which will be replaced and fitted behind the ally dash. (thats why it looks so messy) :P :P

Attached Files

#25 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:20 PM

Sorry, the pics been flipped while I was loading it..........honestly :tongue: Heres another pic of my garage after goin nuts!!!

Attached Files

#26 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:30 PM

Starting to rip out the wiring loom 2nite. The funny thing is its starting to look more dawntin than the straight cut box I assembled. Got no idea of how much itll cost for a new one but hey, if it needs a new one theres no point compromising on some thing that could turn the finished car into a four wheel bonfire. :)
Im thinking of putting some of the switch gear where the rear view mirror is cause with the buckets and harnesses I cant reach any of them. Im also looking around for some dials for my dash. Not sure whether to go for the traditional types, pro LEDs(like modern jap cars) or some modern digital guages with just the figures on. :cool:

#27 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

Delving deeper into the loom 2nite and it ent looking preety!! Its got more cuts, severed wires and burnt out fusses than the Mear Space station. ITS BLOODY CRONIC!! :) Its just as well ive checked, cause with all the modified electrics going in it would have been very likely to have gone up in smoke a few miles down the road. :)
If anyone knows where I can get a good quality wiring loom at a good price it would be much appreciated.

#28 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:52 PM

Why is it always last thing on a sunday that something petty will bring everything to a standstill on my project. I took every last tight nut and bolt off the engine so I could remove it but of all of them, it was only the pin that holds the gear linkage together that made me loose my cool :rolleyes: And all you have to do is push it out with a center punch. :sad: This is a pic of me resorting to cutting half the pin off to push the other half out of the joint.
I also found out what castrol oil tastes like off of the sump guard, very much like...um......chicken! :sick:
The 1400 block and box is looking sweet but I keep seeing other cranks off the net that keep making me drool. A 1071 S cranks going cheap on ebay and im not sure whether to give it a flury. :ohno:

Attached Files

#29 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:57 PM

Just wait until the back of the engine bay is smoothed and its all resprayed, its gunna look classy :cool:

The wiring loom's starting to freak me out big time as you can see :ohno:

Attached Files

#30 Boab

Boab

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  • Local Club: E*S*M*O*C

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:03 PM

Oldskoolbaby, you should be using axle stands while working under your car. Never trust a jack. Unfortunate about the pin and let us know where you get the loom from as I may be going down that route very shortly.

Looking good though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users