#1 1275MIN

1275MIN

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:13 PM

Lads,

I've been having my mini shell painted and all the bits. After 5 months of it waiting in a que down at the paint shop i got it back on Monday.
The guy has painted the doors the shell the boot lid the flip front the full roll cage and the reinforcing bars on the front subframe.
I have picked bits up as and when he finished them. I paid £2100 for the job and to be honest its not the best paint job in the world and am a little gutted but as this project has gone on for a couple of years im eger to get it done.
I went out side and when i held the door up against the shell it became obvious that it was a different shade of paint! The front reinforcing bars are also the same as the doors. The worst thing is though they are the right colour! Got to ring the guy up tomo and tell him. He is just going to want to paint the doors an bars again but i dont like the colour of the shell!
I'm not the sort of person that likes confrontations. Have you lads got any help in what i can say?? :)

#2 Dazza IOW

Dazza IOW

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Local Club: MINI REBELS GLOS

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

HI just tell them your not happy with the job what they gonna do about it.As they say the customer is allways right.

#3 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:43 PM

That's definitely out of order, especially for that money. For that you would expect a spot on factory type finish, anything less and you should take it back. If you could post up pics I'll have a look and give you a professional opinion. Plus FIVE MONTHS? for a respray that is ridiculous. It seems like it was one of those jobs that they don't want in the first place, therefore charge you a silly amount, and keep pushing it to the back until they start getting nagged.
There shouldn't be any confrontation, but if there is, walk away and write them a letter pointing out why you're unhappy and threaten court action if the work isn't rectified or you're refunded.

#4 1275MIN

1275MIN

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:42 PM

Thanks lads,

I'm going to wait untill the weekend and get all the bits together so i can see whats what. Ill be in touch and post some photos.

#5 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:45 PM

As Pete said, that sounds mad. five months for a mis-matched respray, for 2k+. id get the whole car done again, in one shade, within the next fortnight. one thing maybe to keep a record of everything you do/say/show etc. get some pics of the work now too, in case it goes any further. Good luck, sounds really frustrating.

#6 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

As annoyed as you are, please try to keep your cool with him and be polite.

Sometimes bodyshops can get overwhelmed with work and do *male chicken* up. He could also just be a cack handed painter.

Obviously if he's not playing fair, then go away politely, write a formal letter, mention trading standards etc.

Im sure if he's a decent kinda bloke he will sort it.

Also, you say you don't like the colour of the shell?

Surely you chose the colour?

Edited by jack_marshall, 28 February 2008 - 07:51 PM.

#7 jonny d

jonny d

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:35 PM

I think he,s saying that the doors are the shade he picked and the body is the wrong shade.

#8 1275MIN

1275MIN

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:44 PM

Ye thats right!

Spkoe to him on Friday and he cant understand whats going on. But he is doing a tester Monday morning to see ehat colour comes out the gun and we'l go from there!
Just felt like i've been kicked in the nuts but hey ho you gotta laugh!

#9 panelbeaterpeter

panelbeaterpeter

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 02 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

I don't really see how doing a spray out of the colour can change anything.. He should have used the same batch of paint to paint the whole car, using exactly the same colour primer/groundcoat and the same number of coats. There are usually several shades of any colour, he'll be lucky if he manages to get the colour exactly the same.

#10 bigtoe

bigtoe

Passed Test

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Local Club: mini drivers club

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:43 AM

hi just thort i would make my 1st post a helping one hopefully. im a panel beater by trade and 5 months to paint a mini is madness no matter how bad it was the only thing i can think of is that they painted the shell or the doors first then the rest at a later date ?? even thow they might have used the same batch of paint but even if the air presure or the amout of coats of paint they put on can change the colour thats why its best to paint it all in one go if you can. hope after all this you get it sorted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users