20 replies to this topic

#1 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:49 PM

i have seen in the david vizard book page 319-320 (yellow book) that janspeed put a turbo over the clutch cover is it still avalible as a kit if not what parts are needed to reproduce it?

#2 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 29 February 2008 - 02:46 AM

rare as rocking horse poo dude, i think turbo phil is still sitting on an original setup though.

Most people custom make them now if they decide to go that route. Lot of hassle for no real gain as far as i can tell.

#3 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 29 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

I do indeed have a complete Janspeed setup. They've not been in production for years now, & as Budd says they're rare. The best way if you want to mount your Turbo over the clutch will be to make a custom manifold, besides the Janspeed kit was made for a Metro engine bay & wont fit in a Mini without some mods anyway.

Phil.

#4 blister

blister

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

hello i was just wonderin how i would go about makin custom manifolds what matterials can i use

#5 JC T ONE

JC T ONE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:23 AM

I do indeed have a complete Janspeed setup. They've not been in production for years now, & as Budd says they're rare. The best way if you want to mount your Turbo over the clutch will be to make a custom manifold, besides the Janspeed kit was made for a Metro engine bay & wont fit in a Mini without some mods anyway.

Phil.

Hi Phil :P long time since I heard from you, - - thanks for the mail with the JS-TURBO leaflet. My car is now running:) started it 2 weeks
ago. It sounds REALLY NICE- you cant hear the dellortho carb (the JS cast pressure house takes all the noise)unless you take off the airfilter with
the special knee/angle that JS put on it. I have spoken to the MOT place, and they will see it this week. I have got hold of complete JS partslist
for the Metrokit if you like a copy?. Did you see the JS boost gauge on Ebay 2 weeks ago ? Hope you did, as it sold for nothing.
have you done anything to your engine yet? JC T ONE

#6 JC T ONE

JC T ONE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:46 AM

rare as rocking horse poo dude, i think turbo phil is still sitting on an original setup though.

Most people custom make them now if they decide to go that route. Lot of hassle for no real gain as far as i can tell.

Hello Bud666. yes they are RARE, but one did end up in a MINI 1275GT. I have spend almost 8 years on restoring it, and its almost ready for the MOT.
I have spoken to 2 people who drowe my car when new, and they said it was awesome, one of them was an ex race driver who raced minis in the
roaring 60ies. My setup is a complete JANSPEED conversion as the car is heavely modified to take the engine under bonnet, (JS had it in their workshop
for 2 months) and with NO body
modifications at all. They moved and tilted the engine to get room. It was made to same spec as Nigel Mansells JS turbo Metro (140bhp).

#7 Sammy D

Sammy D

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

Like zis;

Posted Image

?

#8 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:18 PM

Hello Bud666. yes they are RARE, but one did end up in a MINI 1275GT. I have spend almost 8 years on restoring it, and its almost ready for the MOT.
I have spoken to 2 people who drowe my car when new, and they said it was awesome, one of them was an ex race driver who raced minis in the
roaring 60ies. My setup is a complete JANSPEED conversion as the car is heavely modified to take the engine under bonnet, (JS had it in their workshop
modifications at all. They moved and tilted the engine to get room. It was made to same spec as Nigel Mansells JS turbo Metro (140bhp).

I bet when it was built it was awesome with 140bhp, but that's pretty tame these days, I could get that out of a pretty low spec turbo. Even so, it'll still be pretty poky and it sounds like an interesting project.

#9 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

aaah, was yours the one that was featured in one of the mini mags a while ago? sure i remember reading something about the only mini to be fitted with the janspeed kit being resto'd.

#10 JC T ONE

JC T ONE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

I bet when it was built it was awesome with 140bhp, but that's pretty tame these days, I could get that out of a pretty low spec turbo. Even so, it'll still be pretty poky and it sounds like an interesting project.

You wouldnt belive how interesting :P it took me 7 years to get the JANSPEED parts of the guy who had them.

#11 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

Hi Phil :P long time since I heard from you, - - thanks for the mail with the JS-TURBO leaflet. My car is now running:) started it 2 weeks
ago. It sounds REALLY NICE- you cant hear the dellortho carb (the JS cast pressure house takes all the noise)unless you take off the airfilter with
the special knee/angle that JS put on it. I have spoken to the MOT place, and they will see it this week. I have got hold of complete JS partslist
for the Metrokit if you like a copy?. Did you see the JS boost gauge on Ebay 2 weeks ago ? Hope you did, as it sold for nothing.

Hi good to see you on here. I'd like a copy of the partslist, yes that would be great. No i didn't see the gauge, wish i had though. Unfortunately my engine's still sat under the bench in the garage. Nice feature in the magazine, i bought a copy for the first time in years.
Phil.

Edited by Turbo Phil, 29 June 2008 - 10:35 PM.

#12 JC T ONE

JC T ONE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:53 PM

Like zis;

Posted Image

?

Hi Sammy D . Yes same stuff, but JS have moved the turbo in, and rotated it slightly, so it goes in the GT engine bay(cut the metro manifold/wastegate house). Also they cut down the pressure house for the LOTUS dellortho, otherwise it would stick up trough the bonnet. Simon who built it at JANSPEED, told me all about all the special parts they had to alter/built to make it go into the GTs body. I have seen the pics in the Wizard book, and I can see it was a lot of work.
`

#13 JC T ONE

JC T ONE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:22 AM

Hi good to see you on here. I'd like a copy of the partslist, yes that would be great. No i didn't see the gauge, wish i had though. Unfortunately my engine's still sat under the bench in the garage. Nice feature in the magazine, i bought a copy for the first time in years.
Phil.

Hi I left a message on your guestbook also :P The list I have is for the Metro kit, I think that your engine is from a REAL JS full conversion
as it has a 11 stud ported/polished S head. This is NOT a part of the JS metro kit. Also the JS rocker cower is not a part of the kit. I think that after
1982 app, when the verto clutch was introduced, and ofcourse the MG turbo, JS couldnt sell the kit, as you would need to change flywheel-complete
clutch assembly-starter-etc, as the verto dont work with the old clutch arm as JS designed the system for. All that added cost probably killed it ?.
I will ask Simon or Norm next time I speak to one of them.

#14 JC T ONE

JC T ONE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:32 AM

aaah, was yours the one that was featured in one of the mini mags a while ago? sure i remember reading something about the only mini to be fitted with the janspeed kit being resto'd.

hi BUD666. Yes the W&P with JS turbo conversion is mine. I tried your page but couldnt find your car:( ?

#15 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:03 AM

aaah yeah, the link is just for the mighty mini race car i'm involved with :P
Here's a link to my build diary over on turbominis http://www.turbomini...p...&tid=129294

Must say i enjoyed the write up on your car and congrats on doing a proper job!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users