20 replies to this topic

#1 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

For some reason I got it into my head that I was a expert body sprayer and decided to rub down a little section on the A panel and respray it with rattle cans. It looked like rust bubbles but actually turned out to be filler bubbles, not quite sure how that happened. Unfortunally I ended up spraying a much larger area that I had originally intended, including some of the door where I managed to scratch it with the sand paper. The colour looks fine normally but terrible in the light, do I rub it down to the decent paint underneith or do I try again at getting a decent finish? Should I rub it down with t-cut or wet and dry paper?

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 03 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

wet and dry 1200 and t cut might help but let the paint go hard for 1-2 weeks first before you try

#3 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

So what would happen if I did wet and dry it now?

#4 wwinstanley

wwinstanley

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:00 PM

terrible things

#5 Minigirl

Minigirl

With Steve

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:01 PM

you would probably just make a hell of a mess

as said above leave it for a while then try doing it

i've made the same mistake many times and also made the mistake of sanding back straight away and trust me it doesnt work!

#6 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

I'll leave it a while then, I'll just have to stand in front of the panel all night at the Ace Cafe.

#7 MarkGTT

MarkGTT

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

can you post a pic? cant really advise with out seeing it.

dont worry tho, these things can be fixed!

#8 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:09 PM

can you post a pic? cant really advise with out seeing it.

dont worry tho, these things can be fixed!

Posted Image

I hope you're right.

#9 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:38 AM

What were you doing spraying bits of your car without washing first?? All the dust particles will have shot off and landed in your new paint!

>_<

If you found filler when you rubbed it back, then it's probably where someone has previously skimmed over some bubbles and is now more rusty underneath.... if you don't get all the filler off and start again while it's small you might be looking at a new A-Panel in the near future!

As for the paint, did you use a clear lacquer over the top? As that paint will never look right unless you do it.... Wash the car in a few days time, then cut it back using a cutting compund until it looks and feels smooth when wet. Make sure there's NO dirt and dust anywhere near where you're spraying, cover the wheel with a sheet and mask up the rubber bits..... then dust over the area with your top lacquer......

Good luck with it! :o

#10 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

What were you doing spraying bits of your car without washing first?? All the dust particles will have shot off and landed in your new paint!

I washed the parts of the car before I sprayed them, I'm not that stupid.

I rubbed the filler down and there was good metal underneigh, no rust to be found.

Two coats of lacquer were used, the finish and shine is fine. It's just a rubbish colour in the light, maybe I didn't use enough coats.

#11 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:48 AM

I washed the parts of the car before I sprayed them, I'm not that stupid.

If you think spraying that close to dirty panels is sensible then I will cease to give you anymore advice on the subject........ >_<

#12 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:55 AM

I'm still learning.

Is it a problem spraying near dirty panels then? I would have thought that it would only affect the parts that you're actually spraying.

Edited by Mini_Magic, 04 March 2008 - 09:56 AM.

#13 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

It's just to ensure the best finish you can. :o

Imagine how much air pressure there is to get the paint out of the can/spray gun? That's moving all the air around the bits you're spraying and subsequently all the dust particles. They'll land on sticky paint and make a nice bumpy finish for you!

Small areas like that aren't quite as important, but I bet you ended up spraying very close to the dirty bits didn't you? >_<

Anyway, back to the problem in hand..... as others have already said, try cutting it back before you start over. I'd use wet cutting compound first, but that's just my preference!

#14 Mini_Magic

Mini_Magic

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

Anyway, back to the problem in hand..... as others have already said, try cutting it back before you start over. I'd use wet cutting compound first, but that's just my preference!

Such as wet and dry paper?

I feel it would be best to cut back as much as possible back to the original paint, it was only a small area on the A panel which actually needed spraying.

As I said before, I messed up.

#15 Amy

Amy

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

Such as wet and dry paper?

No, cutting compound is a paste, which you use with water..... you can buy it from Halfords or any other Auto shop. I prefer it (to paper) for small areas like that as you can blend into the original paint without rubbing through the old surface too!

Just been looking at the original pic though. I Wonder what colour the base coat was for that paint, as it looks like you haven't got enough blue on there and it's a little bit pale.... maybe cut back the lacquer, add a couple more light layers of blue then try the top coat again??

It's notoriously hard to match a pearlescent paint though >_< We'll be doing it very soon in exactly the same colour on our VTEC mini......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users